Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE2k/MCDBA/MCSE200x 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

careemind2004

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2004
US
Hi All:

I have been MCSENT4 for several years, now I think everyone know MCSE-win2k is considered as the standard MCSE certf.

I dont want to be the IT techie who learned about all the networking stuff and ended up fixing people's phone, fax machine and copier, that is one of the reason I would like to go to database, the MCDBA, while I am still interest in learning about win2ooo AD, and later win2k3 and then evenually whatever new OS technogy Microsoft may throw at us in the near future.

I have little to none experience with database besides a 10 week oracle DBA training, since I never lived in the UNIX environment, I don't think oracle is a good way for me to go

anybody can suggest a material or study-plan to tackle MCDBA ?

also what you think is the average time per day one should spend to get a complete understanding of the material ?

any input ?

Thanks
CAREEMIND2004

sometimes hard to study every day... buying a couple servers (Pentium II 350 or better), loading IIS on one and SQL Server on the other and going through the MS training doco might be useful... probably need 200+ hours hands-on to be comfortable with, 500+ hours hands-on to feel proficient... 5 years "real world" to have respect of peers as an expert (by then it's starting to be automatic, but you've been working 7am to 6pm 5 days/week and on-call)

Assume you want more skill than minimum required to pass tests so you can get and keep a job...

Good luck!!

Setnaffa is an MCP-W2K (working on MCSE-W2K) with a few other certs, too...

I have been a MCDBA for about 3 years now. I have yet to see anyone looking for that cert. 8-( I see companies looking for Developers (Programmers) they tend to make them do the DBA stuff.
I attacked the DBA from the other direction - keeping the server and the SQL on top of it alive. - But most companies I have worked with / for see the DBA as a 'programmer' with the additional responsibility of setting up and administering the SQL Server.

Woody

The que books are good and the practice exams (self-test/measureup) will help. There's a Robert Viera book for Sql Server that's good and you'll want to read Inside Sql Server. You should not just read the books, but build databases and learn how to admin them. When you can consistently pass the practice exams at 90%+ then you are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back