Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE Win2K Core books 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbyanu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2001
US
Hi

I'm planning to pursue the MCSE Win2K Track. I would like to purchase the best books for a novice, to help me prapare for the exams. At the moment, I have three options in mind:

1. MCSE Windows 2000 Core Four Boxed Set (Exams 70-210, 70-215, 70-216, & 70-217). Published by Syngress, Aug. 2000.

2. MCSE: Windows 2000 Core Requirements by Jim Chellis, et al. Published by Sybex, 2001

3. MCSE Core Requirements. Published by New Riders Publishing, Paperback, Sept 2000

Please advise me on the best alternative, considering that I'm new to the MCSE exams and with very little experience in networking, though I've been using both Win2K Pro and server and have them installed in my machine. I obviously am determined to pass the exams. I'm sort of inclining to the Sybext series because they are more current... but I'm sure you techies out there have a wiser view. Thanks much.

Mastering Windows 2000 Server by Mark Minasi. The book's more geared towards helping you learn the OS rather than preparing you for a specific exam, though it will certainly go a great distance for preparing you. Of course, if all you're concerned with is passing the exam, I wouldn't really want you working with me anyway. Marc Creviere

Mark Minasi is definately one of the better ones. Easy to follow and actually teaches you the material rather than just try to prep you for the test. Next choice would be the Sybex books.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Actually I want to know the stuff, besides just passing the exam. What do you guys think of the Syngress books?

God bless!

AbbyAnu.

Any Mark Minasi book is great - he really knows his stuff and is not new to the game (his TCPIP book should be required reading).

The network press MCSE series is pretty good, although heavy so don't commute with it! It can be rather dry. The dummies series you'll either love or loathe.

There are some extremely good Turlington Schuler books, although I don't know if they cover all of the MCSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back