Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE NT4 to MCSE Windows 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidClover

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2008
GB
Hi, I've been an MCSE for the past 10 years and having recently been made redundant decided to get my MCSE in Windows 2003.

I found that my old MCSE on NT4 has expired because one of the exams was 70-077 IIS 3.

Does anyone know if there is an easy path to getting my NT4 MCSE back? So far I have passed 620,290,293,294 and 299 and 298 and 291 still to take (i failed 291).

I did read on the Microsoft website that if I take a current design exam this would give me back the NT4 MCSE however, the info seemed to be a few years old and related to MCSE on Windows 2000!

Thanks for your advice in advance.

David

I can't really help you too much here, but from what I have heard, I don't believe you can even get an NT4 cert back, you must migrate to server 2003. But if I could ask you a quick question, why would you even want an NT4 cert?

Brad L. - MCP

"If the doctors told me I had 5 minutes to live, I would type faster.

Hi Brad,

Well, as far as I am concerned I do have an MCSE on NT4, I put a lot of work into getting it and even have a certificate signed by Bill Gates himself confirming my MCSE on NT4! It just doesn't show on my microsoft transcript any more because they retired the IIS 3 exam.

The reason I want it is because it adds value to my CV, that's all.

Strange thing is that on the cerrtification planner, it says that to get my MCSE on Windows 2003, I need two electives, my MCSE on NT4 is showing as one of the satisfied electives leaving only 298 still to get? So on the one hand Microsoft acknowledge my NT4 MCSE on the other thay don't!

I passed my 299 today so now only have two more to go, 298 and 291.

David

I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody cares about an MCSE on NT4 these days except people who have no other certification and pass themselves off as an "MCSE" without qualifying that they haven't been certified on anything newer than 1995's technology. It's like saying that you know how to program an MITS Altair...it's just not relevant in the modern IT world. Just finish the 2003 MCSE and move on.

I feel your pain. I have an NT4 "MCSE+I" (along with some other mid-90s certs) and stopped worrying about certs as I went from a consulting company to being the IT guy at a small company. The small company got acquired by a larger one, and while my job is secure it just makes sense to start learning with formal tracks rather than informal ones. The first surprise is "no more MCSEs" - maybe I should have done the upgrade exams to stay current, after all.

TBH I wouldn't worry about the NT4 MCSE, in my 11 years of working in the IT arena I have never been asked to actually qualify my exams, sure I have the MS card saying I have my MCSE (and actually it's NT4 and 2003) but no ones even asked to see that.

I think you're worrying about nothing.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

DavidClover,

If all you're looking to accomplish is to be able to list MCSE on your resume/CV, a MCSE on Server 2003 will likely be more compelling than a MCSE in NT.

DavidClover said:
So far I have passed 620,290,293,294 and 299 and 298 and 291 still to take (i failed 291).

It sounds like you're 1 core exam (70-291) and one Security specialization exam away from MCSE: Security.

That's the route that I'd go (and have gone FWIW).

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back