Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE/MCSA/CCNA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdenitti

MIS
Aug 24, 2001
US
I am going to start taking classes for my MCSE/MCSA/CCNA classes. I learn better in a classroom environment then studying on my own. The only down side to this is the cost. The cost is around $15,000 for all three certs and it will take about a year of class time to accomplish this. Does anyone think that it will be worth the time and money to go ahead with all the classes considering I would never do this on my own?

If your going to get the MSCE don't bother with the MSCA, you will have taken these tests on your way to getting MSCE anyways!

My recommendation is search the web for study guides, buy the books, buy 3 or 4 Pentium or Pentium II computers (Compaq or Dell)and some W2K Pro, Server, and Advanced Server eval software, and just follow the books...

I know it'll be tough; but it'll be a lot cheaper than $15,000.00!!!

Good Luck!! If you need help, feel free to ask here!! JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

I downloaded some sybex guides and have a litle test network here at work that I could use. I still think that classroom learning would be best for me. And $15,000 for MCSE and CCNA classroom taught really isnt bad. I've called all over pittsburgh and I think that this would really fit me well. Thanks a lot JTB.

From my experience, the classroom just follows the study guides anyway. In the future, I will just purchase the transenders, study guides, etc. and save myself a lot of money!

[afro2]

See if there is a network academy for cisco in your area, ours is at a local comm. college (the CCNA would cost you about 2,000 for 4 semesters, books, travel, etc). A LOT less money than 15K.

I agree with Dogbert2. Most community colleges have Cisco and Microsoft classes. The schools are no good. I am paying 7000 for one that I knew more than the instructors. Just buckle down and use a community college and self-study... Thanks,

Matt Wray

I have called everywhere in my area and believe me there is nothing. This is the only class that accomodates my schedule and is not just a boot camp. I appreciate the suggestions guys!

tdenitti,

I am glad to see that you understand the matter in which you learn the best. That is a big step towards achiving any goal.

If you feel that you learn best in a classroom, then by all means I'd take the time to improve your skills that way.

If you want to know if the cost of the classes will be vidicated by your future, that is a very hard question to answer. What if you were to take the classes, get the certifications, and on your way to the mailbox you were hit by a run away tow truck? The $15,000.00 would be quite a waste then.

But, in a year from now, the market may improve, and you could find a new job that will pay you $20,000 more than you are making now, then the $15,000 works out to be a good deal.

Perhaps you will get nothing more out of the classes than the knowledge of how to do the things required for the diffrent certifications, and that is what you must base your decision on. Is the knowledge you will learn worth the $15,000.00 price tag to you.

It doesn't matter what any of us think. My wife thinks I am crazy for many of the things I buy, and I think she is crazy for the things she buys, but that doesn't make her or my purchases any less valuable to ourselves.

My advice:

If you feel that it is worth the money and belive this is the way you will learn best, and it is the only thing you can fit into your schedule... then go for it, but before you sign up, I'd pick up a copy of the books from Minasi on Windows 2000 and see if you can learn from them.

The worst that could cost you is $50.00 to see if you enjoy reading the book and can pull knowledge from it. I suggest Mastering Windows 2000 Server (or the entire Windows 2000 Kit)

Of course, I learn best from books and on my own, I usualy fall asleep in class or screw around on the internet :) CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Thanks a lot CJ!! This is my first shot at any kind of certification since I got out of school and I guess I just needed some advice. Yours being the best by far! It really cleared up a lot for me. Thanks again and if theres anything I can help you out with ever let me know!!

Spending $15,000 on a certification is a total waste. My Microsoft certification has done nothing for me.

Chris

What the certifications do for you will always depend on the market and how you present them to potential employers. James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified System Administrator
(What does all that jargon below my name mean? I dont know I am still trying to figure it out!)

I wouldn't spend a dime on a school or course that I hadn't checked out THOUROUGHLY. It seems like MOST of them are complete scams. Is there a guarantee? How long have they been in business? Are the instructors certified? Can you pay as you pass, or do they want all the money up front? Do you know anyone who has gone there?

Do your homework before you pay to do your homework and you could save yourself a lot of time, money and misery. Honestly, a lot of us passed (I'm an MCSD) using experience, books and transcenders. Good luck!

"Spending $15,000 on a certification is a total waste. My Microsoft certification has done nothing for me.

Chris"

Chris,

This is starting to become somewhat of a bore. Perhaps the reason why is more to do with yourself than certification itself. Seems to me like you are a 'moaning minnie' who believes IT owes you a living. Can see why that would make you a really attractive catch for a company.....

Craig

Agreed. In order to get the Job you need to sell yourself to the interviewer. If you have 50 interviews and received NO offers then you need to rethink how you approach the interview. James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified System Administrator
(What does all that jargon below my name mean? I dont know I am still trying to figure it out!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back