Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE for those with budgetary problems 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
There I was, no formal IT qualifications and no chance of getting the company to fund any. Catch 22, can't leave without quals. Can't stay cos I'm not valued.<br>
<br>
I went to the bookshop and bought the MCSE NT Server book (I used the Dummies series but any of them will do). Costs under £30 in the UK and is around $30 in the US. I won't kid you, there is a lot of reading and therefore a lot of work. Even without access to an NT server it is possible to get to a level where you can pass the exam.<br>
<br>
Even with full time employment getting in the way, I took my MCP exam after 6 weeks getting a score of 900/1000 with a pass mark of about 750. The exam is £75 UK or $75 US.<br>
<br>
Six exams and six books means MCSE. I'm four down and working on the fifth one. It is less than £100 per exam and means I don't miss a day at the office.

Another avenue is the great resources of the World Wide Web. Three web sites come to mind right off hand (Listed below). There are many differant tutorials, and such that allow you to get a head-up on the MSCE.<br>
<br>
<br>
<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= HomePage</a><br>WebMaster - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

I tried the Books Videos and CD's<br>
The I found that the local Community college had classes<br>
Cheap <br>
Normally any given MCSE course is $2000 or so and is week long.<br>
5 days of CRAM<br>
This college has it for $840 and is 6 weeks long, 2 nights a week which is great for a working person.<br>
Plus it gives you time to absorb the info and look over it.<br>
AND you can get tuition assistance because it’s a college.<br>
Check out the Community colleges in your area.<br>
<br>
It's the best money I've ever spent.<br>
There is no substitute for being in a class to learn NT<br>
It's hands on training at NT servers each student has his own computer.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

I studies the transcenders practice test/training course, passed it 15 times, took the real thing and failed it, and passed it the next day with the help of a book MCSE in a nutshell IDG books $20 us (plus i had a few servers set up to help memorize the menus (as this is 90% of the test, 4 answers, all look good, only three are on the menus (disk manager/user manager etc.)

I'm surprised with TonyKerr failing with Transcender (which you passed after reading a training book in a day!). I have completed 3 MCPs (exams which I don't rate WHATSOEVER) with ease after using the transcender. <br>
<br>
Note, if you don't understand a topic, you can still pass with transcender, however you will get caught out later when using the product. Only use Transcender if you are profecient with the product but don't have/want to know about silly never used feature ofs the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back