Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE&MCITP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BORIS29

Technical User
Aug 14, 2007
US
Hello! Sorry maybe this question has been asked before.
Any recommendation Please):
Im currently hold an MCSA (2003).
What is better should i finish my MCSE(2003),or just move on to 2008 MCTS or MCITP Server Administrator or Enterprise Administrator?
Thank you.
p.s i have to pass 3 exam to become MCSE(2003)
Im confused i don't know what to do please help me.

I currently hold MCSA 2003 as well. I have chosen to take the upgrade path to the MCITP Enterprise Admin. I think the MCITP is becoming a bit more recognized. I am seeing employers starting to look for this cert in our area. However there are plenty of employers still advertising for MCSE's. Just my personal preference so that I am keeping current.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

I second NetworkTek's opinion. If you already have the MCSA completed and you still need three more exams for the MCSE, I would go ahead and take the upgrade exam for MCITP Server Administrator and then work your way up to Enterprise Administrator. The only exception would be if you were working for someplace that had no plans to go to Windows 2003 and you had no plans of going elsewhere, or if your employer were pushing MCSE over MCITP.

Two years ago, it was a different story. I wouldn't recommend anyone pursue MCSA/MCSE on 2003 anymore unless they were already partway down that path OR it was a job requirement.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Many thanks guys, I will take up your recommendation!

What are the thoughts on the following;

a IT professional (works mainly with Server 2003 and Exchange 2003, with plans to implement Server 2008 and Exchange 2010 in six months to a year) just starting certificaiton....

MCSA on 2003
MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

Mark C.

If six months from now you're going to be using Win2008 and Exchange 2010, why learn 2003 now? You could spend the next 6 months getting your MCSA only to have it obsoleted. If you haven't started working on the 2003 certs then I would say skip them altogether and go to MCITP.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I completely agree with Kmcferrin. I wouldn't waste the time to do 2003 certs if in the near future you will migrate to 2008 anyways. Just my 2 cents

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

I wasn't asking the question for myself. I've got two more tests to knock out and I've got my MCSE (kinda wish I would have done it different). I've got a friend who wants to get certs and was posing a question on his behalf.

What if he would still be supporting 2003 along with 2008? Would that make your opinion any different...

I recommended rather than get his MCSE, he just go for his MCSA and then work towards his MCITP: EA

Mark C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back