Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE 2000 to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobo0605

MIS
Dec 4, 2003
US
i have a question about the retirement of mcse 2000 to 2003 path. Is the deadline to do this march 31st because i've been working on my cissp cert and was going to do this next.

Yep, as of March 31, 2008 you will no longer we able to take these exams. You will need to take them before then, or earn the 2003 cert the old fashioned way.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

You have two choices; Hurry and upgrade to a retiring certification, or just start fresh on the Server 2008 Cert.

Hurry and upgrade to a retiring certification"

2003 certs will not be retired for years yet and it's always worth being able to show in depth knowledge on multiple platforms. Also once you have the 2003 cert you only need one exam to upgrade to a 2008 cert depending on what path you choose.

Sorry I guess I was too brief with my response.

I have my MCSE 2003, and I am very happy I do. My current employer told me the MCSE alone guaranteed me an initial interview.

With that said, I agree that the MCSE will be a wortwhile cert for years to come.

So IMO it depends on what you expect from the certs. If you are looking for certs to help boost your resume I would try to be one of the firsts to be certified for 2008, as I did with 2003 and it was a GREAT move for my career. But if I simply wanted to further my education, and get the most use out of my training, I would definitely go for the Server 2003 certs, my company doesnt even have 2008 on the map yet.

And I just reread your initial post, if you have your MCSE for 2000, I think it is only two more tests if you have the 70-270 XP exam under your belt.

Good luck either way. I am getting ready to get back into the game, I have already ordered my first book in preparation for the 2003-2008 Bridge.

I scheduled the 70-792 test next week so i'm cramming right now!! I don't want to go throught the 2008 cert process. i want to get the 2003 then go to 2008. If i pass the next one will be early in March. If i pass then it off to CISSP land!!

For 70-792 make sure you know DNS inside out it's far more in depth than the 2K exams were. Also look at WSUS.

I hear that there are simulations on these exams now. I hope they work better than the Cisco ones because i haven't had good luck with them!!

Hmmm well i took my 292 at a VUE center and it all worked fine i've heard that the Prometric experience is not a smooth.

I had a cisco simulator stop working on me at a VUE center and i went through a whole bunch of sh*& with Cisco and they said nothing was wrong with the simulator. However i took it at another VUE center and everything went well. I heard the Prometric wasn't very smooth and that's where i'm headed.

I've only ever been to Prometric and never had any problems.... Of course now I've said that something is bound to go pear shaped at my next exam ;-)

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

I'm in exactly the same situation as bobo0605, and need to upgrade the Win2k MCSE before the exams retire at the end of march.

I tried 70-292 a couple of saturdays ago, and it was truly horrible. As another poster said, know DNS inside out, amongst other things.

I spent a week felling horrible and depressed, as I hadn't failed an MS exam for 10 years. Last saturday, I had 70-296. It wasn't a walk in the park, by any means, but a lot better than 70-292. I genuinely didn't know what to expect when I hit the 'end exam' button, but I passed with 737/1000 (pass was 700)

Luckily, I've got second shot on 70-292, and am planning it for the start of march, to allow myself 2 weeks, in case I fail the wretched thing again. Don't forget, if you fail any of these exams twice, you have to wait 2 weeks before you can book it again.

Over here in the UK, I don't think we have VUE centres any more. The centre I sat these ones was very strict. No bottls of water, no sweets in the exam room, which I thought was a bit extreme. When I saw the questions and started sweating (and swearing, I took my sweatshirt off. The woman was in within a minute telling me I'd have to put my sweatshirt in a locker, so I put it back on. Best centre I went to was one where the guy running it was a heavy smoker. He used to let candidates have a cigarette break out on the balcony with him! Unfortunately, it's closed now. Some of the other test centres are also expensive training venues, and you can go into the fancy coffee lounges and get caffeined up before the test.
Good luck to everyone with their certs.
gaz

Now you got me scared about this test. I don't want to go through the whole 2008 cert process. nogarp - Did you have a simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back