Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSA on 03 server, why not 08 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmolick

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2009
I want to complete 70-290 and 291 for my MCSA but I am wondering if I can test on 08 server instead to be more current. I don't see this anywhere in the Microsoft options. Do you need to pass 03 server 1st then take the upgrade path?

Correct, there is no MCSE on 2008 and consequently there are no 2008-based exams that correspond to the exams required for the MCSE. You can complete your MCSA/MCSE on Server 2003 and then upgrade to an MCITP on 2008, or you can just start from scratch on your MCITP.

For the record, there wasn't an option to mix and match Server 2000 and Server 2003 exams towards getting an MCSE either, because they were separate MCSE certifications.

im 2 exams away from mcsa on 2003 but had trouble with 70-291 so instead of wasting time I'm going to move forward on 2008 for enterprise admin from scatch. Reason beging is because more companies are going 2008 then I thought. Also 2008 has lots of new features and is very different from 2003.

Everyone has problems with 291. They just buckle down and do it anyway.

While a lot of companies are moving to 2008, Windows 2003 is going to be supported until 2018 or some such. The odds are pretty good that you'll still run across it somewhere, if not still be using it in some capacity years from now. I work for a company right now that still has a couple dozen NT 4.0 servers and at least one NT 3.51 server. On the other hand, I've had my MCITP Enterprise Admin for 10 months now and haven't touched 2008 at work outside of a dev/test environment. Go figure.

But most importantly, in order to get your MCITP Enterprise Admin certification from scratch you will have to pass 5 tests. If you were to complete your MCSA that would be two tests, plus four more to upgrade to MCITP Enterprise Admin. So it's 5 tests to get one cert of 6 tests to get two. I say go for two. The more certs the better (if you couldn't tell by my tag line). Besides, nobody likes a quitter. What happens when you have problems with one of the 2008 exams?

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

If you want to get 2008 thats fine, but everyone uses 2003 now.

2008 is gaining ground, but it will be years before you see a large number of these.

Yeah, it's a bit like wondering why a mechanic would bother to learn how to fix a 2003 Honda since the 2009 was out already.

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like I'm going to have to buckle down a little tighter and go for it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back