Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSA Finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abstractmechanic

Technical User
Sep 8, 2006
US
Hi everybody,

I had to wait for the crush of A+ 2003 Objectives test takers to free up the testing centers, but I finally sat for my 70-299 - and passed! I am one happy paper MCSA. I figure we all gotta start somewhere. I got a 785, which isn't setting the world on fire, but I have to say, Wishdiak, that I found this test the least stressful of them all, even the 270. It was only 30 questions, you were given 90 minutes, and there was SUS, instead of WSUS, stuff. I used the MS Press Training Kit, a Thomson text, and Transcender practice tests. As an aside, I think that the explanations of the answers provided by Transcender are sometimes the best sources of information anywhere. In giving this exam a rating, I'll weigh in a little heavier than the test felt:

70-299 ****

Thanks again for the great thread, Wishdiak. Have a good day.

- Kirk

Congrats on the MCSA.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Well done... MCSE next?

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Thanks, guys. I was taught bass-ackwards, Juan69; I'm getting my A+ next. I live in a fairly small town, so I'll have to wait and see what the best course is after that.

So how many tests are needed for MCSA, MCSE---I take one to be an MCP, right? Also, I am A+ andNetwork+, plus CCNA and CCNP---how do Microsoft tests compare to Cisco? Thanks.

Burt
A+ N+ CCNA CCNP

Microsoft tests are WAAAAAY easier than they Microsoft tests. Pass any MS test to become an MCP. Here's the info on the MCSA for 2003.

Your A+ and Net + combined will count towards your elective. So, all you really need to do is pass, 70-270, 70-290, and 70-291 and you'll be an MCSA.

A+, Net +, Security +, MCP, on my way to being an MCSA

Oops...edit that....Microsoft tests are WAAAAAY easier than Cisco tests. Sorry bout that :)

CCns23

there's nothing easy about a microsoft exam. you cisco boys sit in the basement cuddling your cisco routers all night!

its hard work so lets not go to a microsoft cert forum and say its easy. i respect cisco is hard, but its no harder then what your experience and use dictates.

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

I didn't say they were "easy". What I said was Microsoft tests, and if you want to get into specifics the MCSA tests, are WAAAY easier compared to the Cisco tests. I'm sure there are people who think the opposite, but it's probably a safe assumption that the majority of people here who have taken both would say its much more difficult to pass the CCNA vs getting your MCSA.

CCns23,

Where did you come up with that idea? MS exams (if new material) seem just as difficult as Cisco (if new material).

MCSA / MCSE 2003

70-298 ?
70-284 ?
70-285 ?
640-801 ?
640-861 ?

guidomyte,

I see you have a ? next to the 640-801 test. Take a stab at it and then compare it to your MCSA tests. You'll see what I am talking about. Go on the Cisco message boards and see how many posts there are about FAILING the CCNA test on more than one occasion. Do people fail the MS tests? Absolutely. But I would say that more people fail the CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, etc. more often than the MS tests. Again, maybe this is just the perception that I have. In taking both the MS courses and the CCNA courses, the Cisco course was the harder of them. If you don't agree, you are entitled to your opinion, but so am I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back