Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSA 2000 Is it too late????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacket

Instructor
Dec 13, 2002
ES
Hi Guys

Is it still worth finishing the MCSA Windows 2000.

I still have three exams to complete but I think with a bit of studying plus the knowledge I already have I could possiblilty complete the MCSA before September this year....but is it too late, Is it worth the hazzle with Windows 2003 on the market.

Cheers guys

Well, You could finish since there will still be windows 2000 servers out there, just like there are windows nt servers still in production. I would get the MCSE 2000, get some hands on training with server 2003 and take the two upgrade tests and you'll be set.

Think of it this way: In order to get the MCSA certification, assuming you only take the tests, you are going to spend $400-$500 on test fees (depending on any vouchers used).

You might be able to find the relevant books for $5.00 each (i.e., another $20).

And it's worth your peace of mind to use the Transcenders or MeasureUp tests to assess your training progress. I think you can get the 4 for under $400.

Hands-on is critical to some skills. Two older PCs and the eval software might be had for as little as $250.00

So you're likely to spend a minimum of $1000 for self-study. Classes are much more expensive... minimum of $200/day and you still need to do self-study and hands-on.

How quickly will you be able to get a job/raise/bonus to pay it back and start making a profit off your training? That's the way to decide if a cert is worthwhile...

Not a cut-and-dried answer. But it's your money and your time and your career...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

I would avoid the 2000 stuff if you haven't started anything, otherwise continue...

Setnaffa is an MCP-W2K (working on MCSE-W2K) with a few other certs, too...

I would finish the 2000 track , or just do the MCSA 2000 then take the 70-292 to get your MCSA 2003. I have my MCSA 2000, MCSA 2000 + security, MCSE 2000, MCSA 2003 and now my MCSE 2003.. It took me 13 months and 9000.00 US dollars , with 100's of hours to complete it. NOT easy at all , so much to know and learn . I can now take a break, but will get back studying for the 70-299 and 70-298 exam.

I have been into networks for 17 years now and built my first network in 1987 with Lantatic 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back