Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCP or Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

calahans

Programmer
Jun 14, 1999
IE
Its funny reading some of the posts in this forum. It gives you an idea of the difference each side of the atlantic. In the US there seems to be high regard for Microsoft certification, however in Europe (at least the British Isles) the stress is on a college qualification. Most people I know say there bosses say that an MCP is a nice bonus but the main things is experience and college qualifactions.<br>
<br>
MCP status signifys nothing really. There are many people I know who have MCP/MCSD/MCSE qualifications and are terrible at their job (of course some are excellent).<br>
<br>
I would suggest that people try to get a Business and IT course. Business is an integral part of IT these days. NO longer can a programmer/network guy be happy to just know computing they have to have an understanding of it application.<br>
<br>
I'm not downgrading anybodys qualification, a lot of effort goes into an MCSD/MCSE but it is not a gaunantee of excellence in a microsft product. Besides, computing doesn't end with Microsoft (I think).<br>
<br>
Cal

As I mentioned in another post, I agree about the business focus. It's not just about technology but how that technology can help the <i>business</i>.<br>
<br>
As to the tech certifications, as you say, the regard as to different degrees changes on different sides of the Atlantic. But that's related to the views of employers, not the degrees themselves. A tech certification may or may not mean you know a product, and it can mean nothing about whether you can use the product in the real world. At the same time, a college degree doesn't mean you know squat about the real world either. <br>
<br>
The best way to decide which forms of alphabet soup to get for the resume is to know the job market in your intended area and get the certs or degrees the employers in that area value the most. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

MCP / MCSE is indeed not a guarantee of knowledge of the product, but it is better than a degree and generally faster. A degree used to mean increased intelligence. Now I have one people are starting to wonder.<br>
<br>
I'd start off with MCP and work to MCSE or MCSD depending on where your skills lie. A degree essentially means school, MCP means business.<br>
<br>
What do you mean computing doesn't end with Microsoft? Since when?<br>
<br>
Zel.

Zel - I'm shocked that you would think that an MCP is better than a degree, old Bill must be laughing all the way to the bank. College exams show that a person has a certain academic ability and can apply themselves, MS exams show that a person may have access to transender!!<br>
<br>
I'd put money down that Microsoft look more kindly on college qualifications rather than their own exams!!!!<br>
<br>
However the time factor is a definite plus in the microsoft favour. <br>
<br>
To say that a person should pick microsoft exams over a degree is criminal. I'm not bashing microsoft - they have some excellent languages etc. I just would NEVER bet my future on one horse.<br>
Cal

I'm not saying that one MCP is better than a degree. What I'm saying is that a degree for a working person is a lot harder than an MCP and takes a lot longer.<br><br>I have a recognised degree from a very respected University as well as a handful of MCPs. When going to interviews, they never ask me about my degree, only ever about the MCPs and their releated topics. Sure, Transcender can allow you to pass the exams, but you'll soon be found out particularly if they give you an entrance exam...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back