Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCP certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

azpctech01

Technical User
May 6, 2003
US
I am thinking about getting my MCP. I just have a really stupid question. what classes or what books should I get to study for the exam?

Clueless

Depends on which exam you are planning to take. To earn the MCP, you need only pass one M$ certification test. Doesn't matter which one. Why are you looking to do this? Only asking to help narrow down which ones you might want to look at....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

I'm still a newbie to this certification stuff..I'm A+ certified now..getting ready for the Network + test
I would like to say for resume enhancement..I have at least
a couple of years of hardware experience.
Are there preferred MCP certifications that employers like to see right now?

your best bet is either 70-210 or 70-215, Pro and Server.

Your best bet is to study for the 210 exam (which also prepeares you for the 215 exam)

Once you pass the 210 exam, spend a couple of weeks and study for the 215 exam and you should be able to pass it as well, since the questions are very simular.

Your A+ Cert can be an elective towards the MCSA, which is a step up from the MCP

The MCSA requires 3 exams plus the A+ cert (you can view the requirements at
But if you pass the 210 and the 215 exam you will be one test away from your MCSA (the only remaining test would be 218)

For studying for the tests I suggest just typing into google "70-210 free study guide" or just "70-210 study guide" and see what you can find. As for books pick up just about anything by Minasi (I always use Amazon's ratings to review books before I buy them, I like to see how other people have faired with them).

Also transcender makes the best exam tests, but Self Test Software is good as well.

Good luck!

CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

to clarify the A+ counting as an elective, you have to have an A+ and Network+, or A+ and Server+, or A+ and Security+ for it to count as an elective towards an MCSA. Reason being is that CompTia tests are very generalized and easy.
Not that M$ tests are too hard if you study right.

Just get transcenders and take real good notes, then read your notes, you'll do fine if you truly understand everything. Just don't go take the test until you truly do understand the answers.

BWilson77080
MCSA+MCP, A+

The basic MCSE W2K books, 2 or 3 PCs with Pentium 133MHz, CDROM, 128MB RAM, 1.6GB HD, and an ethernet port, a small hub or switch, and 2 or 3 Cat-5 cables ought not to set you back more than about $400.00, if you're adept at using Used bookstores, Ebay, and Pricewatch...

Setnaffa is an MCP-W2K (working on MCSE-W2K) with a few other certs, too...

If you are in a crunch, you can use techskills.com practice test as a study aid. For my 210, thats all I used over 1 weekend. I just took the tests over and over until I was passing them, then took the test. There were only 4 questions that were not on the practice test that were on the actual test.
(However the actual test pulls from a large question base, so your test will not be identical to the test I had.)

Passed W2K Pro 31 July 2003. Used Microsoft Press to study and there was a CD-ROM with the book that has a "Readiness Review Exam (3 sets of different questions at 50 questions per test=150 questions). Those were very similar to what I saw on the exam last week. On Sunday (3 Aug), I filled out the on-line form from the CompTIA site and submitted and on Tuesday (5 Aug) information re my A+ and N+ were entered on my Microsoft Official Transcript reconizing those exams as having an elective. Now I have only -215 and -218. And both of those are as CharlieJax stated above, these test sorta flow along together.
Just to show you how easily it is done! And good luck with your choice of exams.

If anyone could help me with as much information as possible about ......Ataining A+ and Security+....... those will be my starting points..heading towards Microsoft Certifications.... i think thats a good route.....any other suggestions would be appreciated ...

70-210 or 70-215, but I personally would start with 70-215 because XP has been trying to replace W2K pro, but Windows 2003 has yet to prove itself in my humble opinion. (Chuckle) The comment on Transendars was on the money from BWilson. Let me add to that. When I took the 70-210 and 70-215 classes, the gent that taught the class worked for MS team creating W2K pro and server. His thought on Transcendars. Each comes with 3 tests. Start test one, stop it at once, print all awnsers, read all questions and explanations. When through, take the test for real and print only wrong awnsers, since you know the ones you got correct. Do this until you get 100% on the test, then do the same for test 2. Once you have gotten 100% on all three Transendar tests, your ready for the MS test. He guarenteed we would pass. I've passed 70-210 and 70-215, and am currently working on test 2 for 70-216. He was absolutely correct, I passed the 210 and 215 tests the first time. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I agree with Glen.
I would add one thing also. I suggested 215 because if you want to work in Network Admin you'll need to know the servers, and if you know the servers already it makes 210 very simple....
My .02

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back