Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCK - Calls dropping - Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAS04

Programmer
Feb 18, 2004
US
Greetings - I've been working on trying to solve a problem with our remote locations. We have one gateway and 2 remote locations. We have problems with popping, delay, calls dropping. I noticed a post here from (mmcalli (MIS))
I was wondering what setting you are using on your MCK's, what your bandwidith your using, what kind of routers your using? I just need to talk. I hope you see this post! Thanks!

Hi ! Few things to check with an IP install:
1) have all u nits on latest firmware, for 8/12 port units, this is most likely v213r5 sw. (free on MCK Site)
2) next, you should have at least 50 MS in for Jitter delay
(setting on the PBXgateway side under config>port>default>voice), for a managed network, maybe 120 ms for internet/unmanaged network.
3) Check the ping time from box to box, ensure that the jitter delay is always more than 1/2 the ping time.
4) you could use either g.729a, or adpcm 24, to use less bw,
in case it's a bandwidth issue.
The above tweaking should help. QOS does need to be done on routers to positively ensure perfect call quality. On Cisco, 12.3 or better is recomended, Cisco 1720s work well, as they have more horsepower for the additional demands of VOIP QOS.......Hope this wasn't too much :-0
Good Luck ! Tom@rickenbackercommunications.com

Thank you Trickenb! I think our problem falls at the router level. I can not be sure. We have Nortel they are all at least 6 yers old. I'm in the middle on this. So now I'm being asked to look at the IP using 8700 units with Avaya - my guess is we will still have the same issues - because our routers will need to support the VOIP QoS - from everything everyone says, (major vendors and business partenrs are telling me) Cisco seems to have the best solution for handling this type of application. Thanks Again

I have a customer using a PBX extender 7000 and a Gateway 7000 on ethernet over a wireless link. Now they want to move it to a point to point T1. The units don't have T1 cards in them, so what would be the least cost method of turning the point to point into an ethernet link. They will be using all 24 channels for voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back