Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCDST TEST 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

just1fix

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
US
I am currently studying for the MCDST exam(s) and wondering if there is a specfic area or topic that is asked more than other areas. Also, I've taken some of the Measureup practive exams and on those ?s in which you must put several different steps in order, are you given partial credit if any are wrong or out of order. Any other tips would be appreciated. thanks

I haven't taken any of the MCDST exams so I can't speak to those tests specifically.

However all Microsoft tests are basically the same. The ones that have several steps or several answers are scorred in two different ways. It will say which way they are scorred at the end of the question. If each part of the answer is scorred seperetly it will say something to the effect of each answer will be marked on it's own. If a multi-part question doesn't say something about that, you've got to get them all in the correct order to get the question correct.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

hey there,

they won't give you credit if you do it partially right.
for example, you clicked use lmhosts file on wins tab, but you didn't click enable netbios over tcp/ip. then you wouldn't get score for that if the correct answer needs both ticked.

I think measure-up is good. I only tried their demo, I feel good about their questions and answers.

to master mcdst exams, you probably read books like 271/272 training kit or take part in a training camp/MOC.

if you can score 85% on measure-up, then you are very likely to pass the actual test 70%. of coz, the more the better.

good luck

just1fix,

I also haven't taken this specific exam, but have taken other Microsoft exams. I used the Microsoft Press Readiness Review CD's for 3 Microsoft exams so far, and they are "powered by Measure Up" or something pretty close to that.

In any case, the drag-and-drop questions that they so love to put in the Readiness Review where you have a list, don't know if you need to use all of them, and need to drop them in a certain order...those did come up on a few exams, but not as many as on the Readiness Review.

Check boxes and pulldowns on an interactive screenshot are more common on the exams, and there aren't any of these in the Readiness Review.

Keep doing the practice tests, and try to remember the reasons that your wrong answers were not correct. This knowledge will come in handy when you're taking the real thing.

Wishdiak

I took the exams earlier this year so I don't remember much about what was on them. I also took the Measureup exams in preparation for this cert. They seem to have been good because I passed without doing much else. I've been supporting XP in a small office since the middle of last year so I also have some experience. If I can remember some of the specific topics covered on the exams I'll let you know.

just1fix,

I just got back from taking another Microsoft exam a few minutes ago.

If the MCDST test(s) are anything like the MCSE tests, then knowing how to eliminate the incorrect answers is the most important skill when taking the real exam.

Using this strategy, I was able to score 919 on the 70-291.

Wishdiak

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it will come in handy when I take the exam(s). I have taken a few practice 70-270 exams and 70-271 exams and does anyone know what the difference is?? I read in another forum how many people would take the 70-271 and 70-270 the same day since they are "the same". This way they can get two certs on the same day. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Has anyone else??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back