Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCDST Blues 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytro

MIS
Dec 24, 2001
US
Just finished passing the core 70-271 and 70-272 for the MCDST certification. I have been looking for work for about 3 months now. It seems during the interview process this certification doesn't hold much value... I have been through 6 interviews and all the hiring managers say the same thing: "need more than 2 years experience for a help desk support person".

I currently work for Costco wholesale as a computer sales person, however I moonlight on the side as much as possible doing computer jobs i.e. setting up networks, including routers, switches, servers, client computers and cabling offices.

Any advice will be welcome... even bashing.

Thank you

Signed...fed up :-(

Nytro
MCDST,MCSE(NT 4.0/2000)

Nytro,

If the job that you're looking to get involves supporting desktop users, then MCDST would be very relevant to the job duties, but in your job market there may be plenty of other people with MCDST and more experience than you have.

If you can't manage to convince a HR person that your freelance experience constitutes the equivalence of 2+ years at a help desk, then maybe a few more certifications would improve your chances.

I'm not in the same job market as you (most likely), so your best bet is to apply for a few of these advertised openings, and if you don't make the cut, ask what you can do to increase your skills enough to get hired in the future.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

i know what you mean NYTRO, i was going to pursue the same cert, until i found looking into it, that it was not going to help me much.Thinking of just going for MCSA instead.

I guess it must be senior helpdesk positions you're applying for if they all want more than 2 years experience? Most helpdesk jobs I see advertised just want 6 months or so + good communication skills.
I can see why the MCDST might not help much as I bet many employers aren't even aware of what it is given it's fairly new, I'd have thought if you get the chance to explain it at interview though it should add useful weight to your experience.

Thank you all for your support and quick response to my post. You made me realize; bottom line: you must sell/market yourself.

Will let you know the outcome of my next interview...

I thank all of you :)

Nytro

how was the 70-272 compared to the 271? .. I just passed my 271 and I'm just picking up the 272 book this weekend...

what did you use to study?

For myself I thought the 272 was easier. I scored i think a 982 and finished the test in like 45 minutes or less...

Lot of similar stuff from the 271 that made it seem easier if I remember right. I made an earlier post from back in June if you want my exact comments.

Ryan

MCP/MCDST

Here is my old post info...

I passed both tests today.

70-271 I got a 816

70-272 I got a 945

I actually thought the 272 was going to be harder but it was actually the easiest of the 3 i have taken now.

271 had 61 Questions and had only 1 question where you had to drag items in order of how to complete the question. The rest were just multiple choice and select the best answer. Suprisingly there was a lot of SP2 questions on both 272 and 271.

I only used MS Press books for these tests and did some measureup practice tests since Tech-Ed had a free Code to get the full practice exams.

272 was only 50 questions and was strictly select the best answer. There was no choose 2 or 3 or put things in the right order. So I think that made it easier being just select the 1 best answer. I think i completed 272 in 25 minutes.

271 I think i spent about 1 hour 45 minuts on.

My next step is 290 and 291 to get my MCSA :)

MCP/MCDST

Awesome thanks for the info.... I think I took the same amt of time for the 271 and got a 949... 61Qs but no drag and drop...

geesh I didnt think of taking them both in the same day.. but if its just select the best answer that'll be awesome.. lol

Now I just have to find a place with the ms press book....

Thanks for the info!

(what was the other test you took? was it 270?)
I'm pondering maybe going for the MCSA next year....

Yea 70-270 was my other test I took. I did that first to get the MCP then moved to the MCDST. I am preparing for the 70-290 now then 291 to get my MCSA 2003. I want to at least complete all that by the end of this year then MCSE after that. :)

MCP/MCDST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back