Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCDBA & MCTS Exam / Certification Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melagan

MIS
Nov 24, 2004
US
Greetings,

I am looking into obtaining certifications that would support both my credibility and skills as an ASP.NET developer. I figure strength in the .NET Framework along with SQL Server would be the way to go. MCDBA seems to focus on SQL Server 2000, though; I understand that certification might be discontinued later this year, perhaps mid-2008. Is it worth the time to go that route, or is there another certification that would better support ASP.NET development?

At this point, I have only limited hands-on experience with ASP.NET, and no experience with SQL Server (although quite a bit of time with JetSQL & MSAccess)

Help? Thanks =)

~Melagan
______
"It's never too late to become what you might have been.

If the shop you are working in is using SQL 2000 then the MSDBA would be the correct cert for you.

If your shop is a SQL 2005 shop then the MCTS: SQL Server 2005 will be the correct cert for you. After the MCTS you can move to the MCITP: Database Developer if you wish.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I'm currently not filling any programming or DBA positions within my company. I am looking to add these credentials to my resume and apply to my current freelance IT work.

So - since I do not have a "shop", per se, what do you think? Again, the DBA is mostly to support my ASP.NET foundation.

~Melagan
______

If you are looking for a strictly developer cert then the MCTS SQL 2005 and MCITP DB Developer will be the way to go.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

[noevil]

Developer indeed, but with a focus on ASP.NET Web applications, not strictly database dev / admin.

~Melagan
______

Furthermore, what would you recommend someone do to learn/study the material necessary to pass these exams? I saw several Microsoft Prep books for sale - around $60.00 or so per exam; not so bad compared to the $1,000 classes you can enroll in.

The question is - are the books and practice exams good enoguh to prepare you, granted you actually work through the material and study?

On a very related note - is it better to, in the case of ASP.NET, purchase, say, a "WROX" ASP.NET book to work through as opposed to a Microsoft Exam-Prep book, or perhaps in addition to?

~Melagan
______

I prefer the MS Press books for my review.

The books aren't designed to teach you everything you need for the exam. They are designed to give you a good overview review of the material.

The best way to make sure to pass the exams is experience in the field.

Denny

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back