Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McData Sphereon 4500 Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gitpicker

Technical User
Apr 23, 2010
US
I have a customer for whom I am supporting a SUN Microsystems branded McData Sphereon 4500 switch. SUN's brand is a StorEdge switch. I have purchased a spare switch that will be used to replace a failed customer's switch. I found it impossible to find a SUN StorEdge switch so I had to buy a McData 4500 24-Port switch, which is the same product since SUN simply used the McData switch and put their firmware on it. The McData switch I purchased from a broker is in good working order but has HP firmware on it. HP's branded McData 4500 switch is the Edge Switch 2/24. My question is, has anyone ever tried to install SUN firmware on a switch that has HP firmware already on it? Since the McData switch was purchased and branded by both HP & SUN, I think there would be a way to do it, but do not want to risk making the switch inoperative in the process. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Are you sure about that different firmware? For instance, IBM "branded" McData Sphereon switches are just plain old McData switches with an IBM nameplate on the front... Original Mcdata firmware on those...

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back