Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCD 5.0 is using an IP license and an External Hotdesk license 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcilnay

Programmer
Sep 20, 2006
US
I'm setting up a few EHDU's and can't continue do to a lack of additional IP licenses. I select add default user, no device, hot desk user, external hot desk enabled, put my numbers in. When I click save I get an error that there are no free licenses. I thought the hotdesk user didn't need an IP license. Thank you in advance.

Sorry to inform you that it requires a user license

It can be sold with or without the user license the assumption being that you know what you require

You may be confusing things with standard hotdesking where the physical device does not require a license. The hot desk user consumes the user license.

The EHDU is not the physical device in this scenario, it is the hot desk user (consumes ip user license)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

MDU users are cheaper option for twinned mobile setup , but there are some limitations

EHDU users require an IP Device license and an EHDU license

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Agree Billz66, the multi-device license can be a cheaper option and functions pretty close to a ring group with EHDU.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Is MDU a new functionality, I may have missed that one.

Relatively new.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

MDUGs differ from regular PRGs in the following ways:

All members, including the prime member, must have a Service Level of Multi-Device This Service Level indicates that the directory number (DN) is assigned to a user that has only basic telephony functionality (e.g., emergency or attendant calls) until programmed as a member of a Multi-Device user group or suite. The DN does not use an IP User License. However, the group or suite has a Multi-device Users or Multi-device Suites license which one person can use at a time in order to receive full telephony service..

When one member of the group is engaged in a call:

callers will receive a busy signal (in other words, "One Busy All Busy" is always enabled).

the other members of the group will be restricted to IP Device Only This Service Level indicates that the directory number (DN) is assigned to an unlicensed device that has only basic telephony functionality (emergency or attendant calls). The device becomes functional when a hot desk user or hot desk ACD agent logs into it. behavior (similar to Phone Locked activation for a regular set).

When the group is deleted or the prime member ceases to be a member of the group, the prime member becomes a Full Service This Service Level indicates that the directory number (DN) is assigned to a standard user and device with full telephony functionality. user and consumes either an IP User License or an External Hot Desk Users license (if available).

Note: That same prime member cannot be made a Multi-device User Group prime member again until its DN is deleted, and then re-added. The reason why is that Full Service is a less restricted service level than Multi-Device and going from a less to a more restricted level is not allowed. See Assigning a Service Level to Records for more information on changing the Service Level of a DN.

It is not possible to delete the group while any one of its members is logged in as a hot desk user or external hot desk user (EHDU).

Busy Lamp Field (BLF) is supported for either prime or non-prime DNs of MDUG member phones, depending on the state of the System Option, 'BLF - Busy Indication Based on Set Enabled'.

If the option is set to NO, the BLF indicates 'busy' when any member of the MDUG is active on the prime line of their telephone.

If the option is set to YES, the BLF indicates 'busy' when any member of the MDUG is active on any line of their telephone.

Note: The above behaviors also apply to multicall appearances of the MDUG prime member.

@Billz66 and/or LoopyLou

So, with the "MUG" the EHDU user can be defined as a Multi-Device User and thus not consume an IP license?

If not, how would you get twinning to ring an external phone.

If yes, I believe you would lose the handoff feature (very useful)

The devices to appear in the Multidevice group are all programmed as Multidevice users. That doesn't consume any IP user licenses. The sets at this point are useless however, just like when you create the device only type sets for IP hotdesk users to log into. You then add them to a multi user group or multi user suite and the phones come "alive". The multi user group functions like a personal ring group. You just have to remember that only one device in the multi user group can be active at any time.

The handoff feature does actually work ( ie it rings all members again ) but I found that once the handoff is started, and the group rings, you have to hang up the active phone before it can be picked up at anyother member. This means the caller hears the ringing ( unless you are really really fast ) which is unlike in a PRG where there is no indication of handoff. It does work and pretty well.

I am not sure of the difference in pricing re EHDU versus Multi device but I would think the big appeal might be in a situation where you want a lot of devices to ring in a group at once. i.e in our lab I have a PRG that has a remote extension on another 3300, a couple of differnt cell phones ( blackberry, iPhone and Galaxy S II ), a UCA softphone, SIP clients and a desk phone. In this case I would need a EHDU license for the remote extension and the three cell phones. A sincle Mult device licenses I would think would be cheaper then 4 EHDU.

Anyway if you have access to a MCD 5 system you might want to use the ability to "borrow" a mulit device license for 60 days and give it a lash.

OK, I'm almost up to speed. I would have thought the handoff would fail because no members are available but I'll take your word that it works.

I still think I'm missing something as your post seems to say that a Single MUG license will suffice to allow external ringing of cell phones. I do have access to a MCD 5 and I will see if I can make sense of this.

You can configure any User or device with a Multi-device Service level. When you use this Service level you do not consume any IP User licenses.
You can then add upto 8 devices or Users into a single Multi-device Group. The Group takes on the number of the Primary member. This group consumes a single Multi-device User License, it does not consume any other licenses.

You could quite happily include 8 x Hotdesk Users all with External numbers associated with them into a MdUG. All you consume is 1 x MdUL

PS: The slight Handoff difference between PRG and MdUG will be resolved in MCD 6.0.
You will also be able to make a full service User/device the Prime member in a MdUG

As lavrai says, when you create your EHDU extension make it a multi-device as well and it will still function as a EHDU but without a license needed to create it. Slick no? And yes I believe Mitel is improving the functionality vs licensing in upcoming releases. i.e you can do more for free. Don't have any details.

For the site we used it at, we found that the multi-hunt group handoff didn't work at all. Had to install a Mitel patch so it functions as I have described. Believe the patch is in the latest loads. Again works almost identical to PRG. You have to examine the cost of a multi-device licenses vs EHDU.

Looks good, actually looks very good.

Most of the time, I'm setting this up as One Busy All Busy so using the Multiuser Group is much better due to licensing considerations.

Very few of my customers ever use EHDU for anything but incoming twinning. Stars for everyone - (if the system will let me)

pmcilnay - If you would prefer I start my own thread to continue this conversation, just say the word.

Otherwise, I thought I'd just keep this train rollin.

So, I had time to experiment with this today. I've found a few issues so far but nothing too bad.

1 - The EDHU user does not login even though permanent login is enabled in the COS - bad
2 - The desk user must be deleted to change the service level to Multi-device - inconvenient
3 - The desk set can no longer have an multi-button assignments of its own local - unfortunate

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get the EHDU to login?

What are you trying to do? Just call the EDHU? Cause I think it only works as part of the Multi-device group from what I recall.

I know we has some issues with MU in an early load of MCD 5. When we upgraded to SP1 ( I think ) it acted more like the acutal documentation.

The Cell phone does not ring when the MDGroup is called

The status on the EHDU is - Not Logged In (COS option permanent login is enabled)

I have the latest version of 5.0

ok, not sure where the issue is. In our testing the cell phone rang. The only issues we had was in the way the handoff feature works in the multi device group as opposed to in a ring group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back