Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAffe Framework service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsehmi

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2004
US
I am trying to install McAfee 7.1 on a Windows 2000 SP4 server and am getting the following error message :

Product: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise -- Error 1920.Service McAfeeFramework (McAfeeFramework) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I am installing as an admin and also added the user to Act as part of the Operating system policy, but still no luck... Can someone help ??

Thanks in advance.

No he shouldn't. VirusScan Enterprise replaced Netshield on server OS's.

Check which account is used to launch the "Frameworkservic" service.

And, yes, VirusScan 7.1 is better than Netshield for servers.

What do you mean by VScan 7.1 is better than Netshield for servers ?

Thanks,
Guillaume

VirusScan 7.1 is a newer, more robust product that has been developed to replace both VirusScan 4.x for workstations and Netshield 4.x for servers.

Amongst other things, we've found it causes far fewer problems than the older 4.x versions.

Vscan 7.1 it's more light than Netshield in % processor

It using a new scan technology to scan inside a process . .

Something like that saids me our NAI consultant . .. .

I was wondering if you were able to solve this problem?? If so could please let me know.

I'm recieving the same error when attempting to install McAfee 7 Enterprise on Windows 2000 Professional SP4.

I have seen several solutions posted where special uninstallation steps etc. are used. None of these have worked for me thus far.

Anyone got around this issue?

Well, after trying a few "solution" that actually did not work, I dropped a new image on the computer and that solved the problem.

1) As was mentioned above, see how the Framework Service is being logged onto the system (run as).

2) Look at the NTFS security for both documents and settings and Program files and make sure the service account has read/write to those folders and below. I've seen NTFS get messed up for reason create problems. One of our techs got so creative VSE 7.1 couldn't scan the computer because it didn't have access.

I uninstalled ePO agent/ Framework service manually :

Frminst.exe /FORCEUNINSTALL

and reinstalled the FramPkg, created from the ePO server. It did the trick.

Try it, should work.
Good Luck !!
JD

NT4 Server with 7.1

I used kill.exe to remove the PID's of McAfee Framework and then the service could start and the update ran.

The software is running ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back