Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee Webshield 4.5 SMTP Relay App... Probs relaying External mail in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excremont

Technical User
Dec 24, 2003
GB
I'm having a few minor problems with the McAfee Web shield 4.5 SMTP Relay Application. If anyone has used this product before and knows of any bugs or known issues with the software please let me know. Any advice on fixes for the problem detailed below (and where to get them etc) would be much appreciated.

I have tried the McAfee & NAI websites for information and both have proven to be quite useless for this particular problem.

In brief; I have set-up the Application to use my internal DNS service to resolve names for all mail traffic, so any mail traffic it receives from an internal or external source will find its way based on the results of the nslookup query it performs against my internal DNS. Out-going mail is working as it should, however I have enabled security against open mail relaying for obvious reasons, but have declared explicitly to the Application to accept mail for relaying if it's from any of my internal IP addresses within my internal networks range and to allow mail through if the intended recipients address is username@mydomain.com (Basically, if it has my domainname in the e-mail address), anything else has the back end of the domain name address stripped and discarded.

Now, for some reason the software respects any e-mail traffic from my internal IP address ranges and delivers the mail outbound accordingly, but anything coming in destined for my domain name is stripped and discarded even though I specifically defined to allow mail through if it's destination address is my domain name.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Note: The machine that has the WebShield Service running, is also running a Public DNS server service, if that make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back