Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee Virus Scan - harvesting local HTML reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seilsong

Programmer
May 3, 2002
GB
The problem domain:
McAfee Virus Scan installed on networked PCs. (Around 120 machines on a NetWare 6.5 / Microsoft 2000 server network).

Daily scan report is generated locally in HTML format and stored in a folder on C drive of each networked PC

I have been tasked with writing something that can be scheduled to poll all the networked PCs (and servers )by IP address, navigate to the local scan report folder, harvest the HTML and compile a single daily report all machines.

Not sure if McAffee uses XML/XSL for the data in the local machine report. If so, data mining might be easier, but I am currently assuming I will be working with HTML.

Obviously if the harvested data can be further manipulated and stored in an SQL database that would be even better for building weekly / monthly / annual stats reports.

Would be grateful for any tips on how to go about this. Happy to consider an existing piece of software that can be configured to do this.

Thanqz in advance

If you could set up the McAfee VS to ran as managed you could send the results of the scans into a SQL or Access databse from the server and Run a report from there.

AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin
"May all those that come behind us, find us faithfull"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back