Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee verses NAV 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeane

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2001
GB
Due to a corporate merger I have been instructed to replace my NAV CE setup for the McAfee equivalent.

Currently I have 3 sites, each site has a primary NAV server with the clients reporting locally to that server. The 3 sites are the managed using the Symantec System Center.

I would like to know how people rate McAfee against NAV CE.

I have not yet seen the McAfee version yet and appricate knowing in advance of any pit-falls I should look out far.

Thanks

At my former boss i also worked with the NAV CE 7.X suite.

Now (at my new boss) i'me rolling out the MCAFEE E-Policy 2.5 software across the complete WAN (app. 600 workstations & 30 servers all running M$ software).

I must say that the mcafee software takes a bit of "getting used to" but wen you've figured it all out the features of the Mcafee package exceed the Symantec software by far.

However i've noticed that the technical support for the mcafee software (the online knowledgebase) isn't quite as good as the Symantec database.

Thanks for the info.

Which software packages would I need to purchase to get the same setup as NAV CE?

Can I still have the 3 site split while managing them in the one screen?

Jonathan

Yes you can create all sorts of client/server groups, and you can create mirror servers

For complete protection go for the:

McAfee Active Virus Defense Suite

this contains all that you need (software based)
VirusScan (desktop protection)
E-Policy Orchestrator (management tool, also works with NAV!
VirusScan Thin Client (desktop protection)
NetShield (server protection for Microsoft, Novell and Unix)
WebShield (Proxy & SMTP)
GroupShield (mail server protection)
OutBreak Manager
SecureCast

and that's a lot of configuring (maybe for youre situation it's a good idea to change the management console and getting used to that before changing all of youre clients, because you will run into client-problems sooner or later and you are able to manage norton 7.x clients with EPO2.5)

Hi,
I have used EPO as an Enterprise solution for 10k users. Like any software, after a short period of time you will begin to know who is protected and guess what..who isn't protected? Policies enforced and tasks set allow you to sit at one console and manage up to 150K users from one beefy server. Nav tipped over after 2500 users.

Dege

How is the Pricing Mcafee versus NAV for Enterprise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back