Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mcafee 5.x - crashes and does not run the On-Access scanner in W2kPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

drphat

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2001
US
Event Type: Error
Event Source: AVSynMgr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 5/21/2002
Time: 8:09:07 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER_GUY
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AVSynMgr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: AVSynMgr error: 126, VirusScan has been stopped due to a missing or outdated Avsynch.dll library. Please reinstall the product..

Same problem here with W95. Do you know where I can download just the DLL?

actually, i tried that, but to no avail

i had to buy 6.0 to get it to work on win2kpro

That's probably why version 5.x was a short-lived version. The best step is to upgrade to 6.x or wait for 7.0. It's currently on RC so it should come out pretty soon. So fat the RC version has been fantastic.

AVChap

I have an issue with 5.2.1 also. I tried to install the retail version on Win98 having the 4.0.3 on (wasn't able to uninstall it for some reason).
5.2.1 detected 4.0.3 and supposedly uninstalled it. After reboot I got a message that a registry error was detected and computer will restart to fix that. So it did, and when it came back I tried to open McAfee VirusScan Central. It came back with an error saying: "Failed to load McPal DLLs". I clicked Ok and it came back with "McAfee Central was unable to load vsui50.dll".
I tried to reinstall 5.2.1. but the install stopped with a "Internal error 2735. Stop AVSyncManager".
I cleaned the 4.0.3 install from the registry according to the instruction from the Readme file (which I saw posted in here also), but nothing has changed. Neither 4.0.3 nor 5.2.1 show up in Add/Remove programs.
Has anybody experienced such a thing?
Does anybody have any idea on how can I get rid of these installs now, so I start with a fresh install of either 5.2.1. or newer?
Thanks.

Probably the best way to do this is to open Registry Editor and delete all the keys pertaining to VirusScan. Then delete all the directories where VirusScan is installed and reboot. Then, you can re-install correctly.

Hope this helps.

AVChap

I have the same problem.
But the Cleaning of the Registry doesn't take an effect.
I have the same error again.
Could this assosiated with the Security Update of Windows?
Greats ..::UWE::..

IIRC, VS 5.21 is NOT certified for W2K Pro since 5.21 is a RETAIL product, which only runs on these platforms (9x, ME). W2K Pro is a corporate platform (at least that's what MS says) so it's very probably that it will not work. Better move to 6.02 (latest) for compatibility.

AVChap

I solved my problem using the utility mentioned in the Remove McAfee thread (msicu.exe, for Win98). Even from the install it detected the faulty McAfee install and undid it. After that everything went smoothly.
Thanks.

On W2kPro a problem is with SP3. I have McAfee 5.12 worked still i have installed SP3.

The error message about the avsynch.dll being out of date appears also on Win ME, but since a few days only. Before version 5.21 was running OK

tchouch is correct.... 5.12 worked fine with w2k pro sp1 & sp2.... after installing sp3 the problem started... tried cleaning the reg, deleted all files.. still... it does not work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back