Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCAD .NET 70-315 (C# Web Apps) Tips 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoulderBum

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
I've read through Kalani's text and am in the final stages of preparing for the test. I took the Transcender practice exam the other day and scored a 90%, but I want to be sure I pass this exam the first time.

Anyone have any tips? I'm not looking for specific questions, of course, rather the names of the most important topics to focus on, and anything that may not have been covered by my book.

Hi - I am there too. Did you get the big book (1200 pages) or the Cram Session? I am reading the Cram Session version, but so far I've failed both practice tests :( Guess I thought I knew more than I actually do.

Do YOU have any tips?!?!

Good Luck, BoulderBum!

David
[pipe]

None of that wimply Exam Cram stuff. I was in it for the full 1200 pages! :)

From what I've read, the 1200 page text teaches you pretty much everything you want to know, but one guy says it's good to study up on code access security (CAS) and XPathNavigator. I've also heard that you need to have an excellent understanding of ADO.NET syntax.

I guess most of the other stuff is what you'd read in the books, though I think it's good to bone-up on your weak spots. I dropped $100 for the transcender exams to prepare and indentify what I needed to study more (which is XML, configuration, caching and much more).

I was good to slightly ify on the practice tests at first, but I got a 98 on the retake the other day! I'll have to actually TAKE the test here when I can get over my anxiety.

Good luck to YOU too!

Hi,
I'm sitting for the exam soon...May i know what is the 1200pages and where can i get it from?

Thanks,
Sugu

I am not getting Kalani's book here in Bangalore, India. :(

Can anybody give me information reg. how to get it here? (not Amazon)

Hmm.. after retaking Practice Test 1, I got 95%. Now did I actaully learn anything by going back and studying what I got wrong, or did I just remember what the right answers were?

Have you looked at this:

My thoughts on the test so far:
You get LOTS of time (120 minutes for 57 questions!) - every ten questions or so, stop and breathe for several seconds.

David
[pipe]

Sugu, this is the book:
It's called, "MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-315): Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Visual C# and Visual Studio.NET "

"Hmm.. after retaking Practice Test 1, I got 95%. Now did I actaully learn anything by going back and studying what I got wrong, or did I just remember what the right answers were?"

I hear ya, but I got a 90 on one of the Transcender exams the first time, and I actually went back and studied about the TOPIC I missed instead of just memorizing the answer. That said, I AM worried about missing a different detail which is why I'm being cautious studying (I don't want to take the test twice).

By the way, sweet link!

Could anyone tell me of a book or a link that operates like a text book...in the sense that you read a chapter and do problems at the end. I want to write the 70-315 exam. I have ordered the Exam Cram book but I find that I learn better by doing rather than just reading.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The book I provided the link to has exercises on every topic of the book every few pages, including useful (practical) exercises at the end of each chapter to expand on its content.

How is it going, Boulder? I am ordering that book now, 'cause I only want to take the exam once, too.

Have you taken it yet??

David

Hey Shalni,
I also searched for this book in bombay , when I visited India.
I managed to get books for 70-316, 70-320 but couldnt find 70-315.
Meanwhile if anyone has any links to the preparation material or sample questions, please post it.
Thank you
Chicago guy.

Well dragonwell, I finally took the test for the first time today and I'm happy to report I passed with an 85. Yipee! Perfectionist that I am I actually wish I'd done better, but I only needed a 70 to pass. 'Not bad for only having used .NET for 5 months.

Anyhoo, something I can say is that the book is a tad weak on Web User and Web Custom Controls as they are registered and manipulated in .aspx markup, and I think you really need to know even the obscure properties and methods of ADO.NET and SQL Server managed provider objects, especially as they relate to table relations and stuff.

Otherwise the book has you mostly covered, though I think buying the Transcender exam really, really saved my butt.

BoulderBum: I thought they didn't give scores anymore, just pass/fail. Is that not the case?

hey BoulderBum,

Congratulations!

Thanks for the tips! I'm trying to read through the Kalani text, but I'm mostly finding it to be a great cure for insomnia! Hopefully I'll get around to taking the test soon, though.

Bill, for the VUE test, I got a printout of my score and even a category by category analysis of my work (for Creating User Services, Testing and Debugging, etc.). I don't know if it's that way for all tests, but there's a big Microsoft header at the top of the printout so I think it may be an MS standard thing.

Dragonwell, I guess Kalani's text isn't quite as involving as a romance novel, but I find him to be one of the most informative computer book authors I've read.

How far are you into the book?

Good luck on the test when you take it!

PS- I think I may get some vouchers or something now (I'm not sure how it works). If I do, and someone wants to save some money on the tests, let me know.

Dragonwell, I guess Kalani's text isn't quite as involving as a romance novel, but I find him to be one of the most informative computer book authors I've read.

Right on. It is definately the best (most thorough) ASP.NET book I've ever seen. I wish I'd started out using it. I think I'm about a quarter of the way into into it and most of it has been very familiar to me, so that's why it's boring. What I need to brush up on is the testing and debugging - using the trace-switches hasn't really sunk in yet.

-d

Hello BoulderBum,

I'm about to take the test. So can U tell me about the Vouchers U have. I appreciate your response.

Thanks
Dess

Unfortunately, I did not get any vouchers. My appologies.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back