Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mbsa and microsoft update patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnasms

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2007
FI
Hello!
I have little question. I don't understand, why some of my advanced clients seems to need MBSA- and some needs Windows Update -patches? I have installed SMS2003 SP2 and ITMU rev3.

Is it possible, that some clients still scan with security scan-tool and others scan with microsoft update tool? How can I easily fix this, and how can I make sure, what scan tool is in use?

Thank you : )

Hi,
How do you determine that some clients need MBSA and some WU?

Hi!

I look into the reports.
For example:
Software updates with count of applicable and installed computers for patch MS07-007
- I have 37 computers where is missing WU patch and
installed in 1723 computers.
- When I choose MBSA, I have 24 computers missing
that patch and 127 computers, where it is installed.

Also, when I study report:
Software updates for a specific computer
It shows both patches, WU and MBSA

I'm new to SMS, as you can guess...

Hi,
I think you're probably still using the MBSA and also the ITMU. We have the same issue here with the inconsitency between the two systems. ITMU reports are more accurate, that is at least what we have seen so far.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

I was thinking that too. But, I needed somebody to confirm my opinion... I started with SMS2003 sp1, and during summer I make sp2 and ITMU installations. I had some difficulties then to install that new client version to some of computers. There may be some virusscanner issues, in some cases. And something else in others... ; )

But, thank you for your help. I try my best to make this work.

You do know that SP3 is available for SMS 2003 as well?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back