Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MBR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagel

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
I've got a W2k PRo machine that won't boot after installing Service Pack 4. Can't find ntldr. I ran the install disk and chose Repair to get it to boot. System files are in a WINDOWS folder instead of WINNT. I suspect the MBR is looking in the wrong place. I uninstalled the Serv. Pack 4, but still can't get it to boot without going through the Install/Repair process. Does anyone have any tips on how to get into the MBR? also, no ERD or backups available.

Almost certainly not an MBR issue. And I don't quite understand your post (System files are in a WINDOWS folder instead of WINNT - you mean this is how you installed 2k, or something has moved them? There's no issue with installing 2k in WINDOWS).

Assuming ntldr is actually there in root of C:, some things you could try.

1. Recovery console - Use Fixmbr to write a new MBR (I don't think this is problem, but may as well try). Use fixboot to write a new 2k boot sector. I'd also run chkdsk.

2. Repair reinstall. Boot from 2k install CD. choose new install (NOT repair). It should find your installation and offer to repair it. Take this option (type R). should leave data, apps, settings intact - loses windows updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back