Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MBM's all have RED LED's 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

km2601

Technical User
Mar 4, 2008
CA
I have a BCM 450 1.0 and the 3 DSM 32+ modules have red LED's.
Have not seen this before, I do have one port not working but no alarms reported. Anyone seen this?

The only time I saw this was on a 400. A contractor had cut a drop and shorted out a DSM32+, which was over loading the power supply. Power down, partially eject all the MBMs but one, power back up and see if that one is now active. Do this until you've located the bad one. When you locate the offending module you could try disconnecting the cables and see if that clears it.

There was a bulletin issued by Avaya a while ago about this issue. There is nothing wrong with the module itself. It occured on some modules due to defective parts in the manufacture.

Essentially, it draws too much current when more than 7 sets are connected to the bottom connector. It turns that power LED red and it stays red. The only way to get rid of it is to swap out the modules for newer ones OR pull the cables off the front (or just the bottom one)of all the DSM32's and power cycle the system. When it comes back up. reconnect the cables and the light will stay green.

Bulletin is PSN003284r2 and the relevant content is here:

Avaya has identified a quality issue affecting a small portion of the DSM32+ Media Bay Module production which is part of the
Business Communications Manager (BCM) portfolio. The issue causes the power LED of the DSM32+ MBM to turn red during the
boot process and remain red. The issue is caused by a component specification variation and does not affect the entire production
during the affected manufacturing timeframe.

Based on the investigation, the problem might only occur when 7 or more digital phones are connected to the bottom connector of the
DSM32+ MBM. If the system is (re-) booted with 7 or fewer phones connected the power LED will remain green even after the
phones have been reconnected.

Information assessed to date by Avaya, suggests that this issue will typically arise upon the initial installation of the module and over
time. The problem does NOT cause any functional impact on the phone or the BCM system.

Avaya has identified a solution for the problem and implemented the change into the manufacturing process.

Avaya has identified a solution for the problem. The solution has been implemented into the manufacturing process as of early March
2011. All DSM32+ units with a Manufacturing Date of March 7th, 2011 or later are no longer affected by the issue.

Avaya has audited the inventory of the DSM32+ MBM and quarantined any units that might potentially be impacted by the issue. As
of March 28th, 2011 all shipments made by Avaya will be done with the units that have been produced after March 7th, 2011 and
accordingly include the fix for the issue.

The fix for the issue cannot be applied to affected units in the field. Units that are impacted by the issue need to be replaced with new
units.

For customers and partners encountering an affected unit, Avaya recommends replacing them through the standard DOA or warranty
process.

Information assessed to date by Avaya, suggests that this issue will typically arise upon the initial installation of the module and over
time. The problem does NOT cause any functional impact on the phone or the BCM system.

The issue has been corrected in the manufacturing process as of March 7th, 2011. Avaya has audited its inventory and quarantined all
units that might be impacted by the issue. Any shipments from Avaya for the affected codes after March 28th, 2011 will no longer
contain DSM32+ MBM units that might potentially be affected by the issue.

Workaround or alternative remediation

Based on the investigation, the problem might only occur when 7 or more digital phones are connected to the bottom connector of the
DSM32+ MBM. If the system is (re-) booted with 7 or fewer phones connected the power LED will remain green even after the
phones have been reconnected.

Right you are, Telcodog. I've also had a couple of instances where some ports just didn't power the set properly. I moved thse phones to a different port and the phones worked fine. I was able to use those same ports for nearby phones and they also worked properly. On those modules the red lights were not on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back