Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maybe be a dumb question, but have to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbi1

Programmer
Apr 4, 2005
US
I am generating a deatils section in CR8.5. In the page fotter, I need to place a legend there to show what the symbols and colors stand for.

I cannot seem to find a funtion in CR that will allow me to create this without making a chart.

Is it possible to make a grid or a table to hold this information. (has to be dynamic as the symbols and description are stored in the DB)

You might place a crosstab or a subreport within the page footer to do this.

The downside will be that each will execute for each page.

A crosstab will work depending upon the structures, the subreport might suit you better as it can have it's own SQL being generated.

-k

there are only 2 fields being generated. All from the same table. I have tried a subreport and I get all the data. Problem seems to be in formatting. The borders are spaced and I cannot add the tital bar

The title bar of what?

As fora subreport, use the Report->Edit Se4lection Formula to limit what is returned, and you can select Database->Select Distinct Records as well.

To supply adequate requirements in a post, please include:

Database/connectivity
Example data
Expected output

-k

Connecting to SQL server:

What I need is a table/box structure that is dynamic:

Legend

Symbol Desc
Symbol Desc
Symbol Desc

Could be 5 or 10 fields depending on parameters. The symbol and desc will be pulled from a SQL server db.

While I can get the fields there, I cannot seem to get the table around the fields to line up right. (eg spaces between fields/lines)

I can center the symbol, but it also seems that the border function is flush against the first letter of the description. I tried placeing it in a formula, but now the fields do not line up.

I guess crystal has no way to provide this functionality.

Did you try a crosstab? You would use {table.symbol} as the row and {table.description} as the summary field (use maximum or minimum). You could use a text box or formula for the label "Legend".

-LB

I tried a cros tab, but it will not let it display correctly.

Furthermore, I just found out every field in the report has to have a border around it. How do you add single spaces before the borders and flush them together.

Due to the powers that be, this is supposed to look like some kind of excel spreadsheet, however I need to export it off to the pdf and bring it all back together.

I have tried drawing boxes and lines, and most stuff will match up, however I still have gaps and spaces and overlaps. I wish there was some type of grid/table feature in crystal.

I don't think this feature exists in 8.5 or 11. If anyone has any more ideas, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back