Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

May have merged an empty config, can I recover? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Penguin

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2023
CA
Hi all. I haven't touched an IPOffice system in years. Doing some work for a small non-profit, I logged in and did a user change, no issues.
Later we were re-doing the subnet, so I changed the IP address, etc. on the system, no issues there either. Rebooted and the new IP address/subnet was in effect.
The phones were booting but not loading config. I opened up IP Office Manager on one of the workstations. I thought I opened the config from the system, maybe I didn't maybe it failed.
Anyway, I made a change to the IP address and sent it (merged maybe, I don't recall) Turns out the phones not loading was an unrelated DHCP issue, fixed that and all was well.
A week later I went to change a user and noticed there was nothing in the system. No users, default extensions, looks like a blank config.
The system is working, but I fear that after a reboot, it'll be gone.

Is there any way to recover? I looked for a .cfg on the workstations, but the only one I found was several years old, and they've switched from analog to Polycom digital phones since then so that one won't help.
Is there an old config or bak file hiding on the card somewhere?
I'm not a telecom guy so there's no way I can reconfigure from scratch, if that's what it's going to take I'll have to call in the vendor.
There's been a lot of staff turnover there, so no-one really knows who made the last user change. Maybe it's the vendor, and they saved a config....

Thanks.

When you first logged in and pulled the config..that would be in your manager folder..
There fore you have a backup config already before changes were made..

Every time you log in there is a cfg file saved to your manager..

You can look at them offline to view them.

You can also restore those files if desired.

If you have manager selected to do a backup on send. They would be in the Manager folder with a .bak extension.
Open Manager, open offline config. Select the .bak file. Offline, send configuration back to the IPO.

Thanks for the replies. I scoured the 2 computers that have the manager software installed and couldn't find any .cfg files or .bak files newer than 2019, except for the now bad .cfg file.
Turns out there's a reason for that. Apparently, this system is no longer in use, and the IP phones are talking to a system hosted by the telco, and not on-prem.

This company has had a lot of staff turnover, and apparently, someone forgot to tell me about the change.

Ha😵‍💫

Typical customers ..only tell you what they think you need to hear.

Story time.

I had a customer that wanted the auto attendant changed because it was repeating the same announcements twice.

I spent ages looking at the system and listening to all the recordings and how they interacted with the incoming call.

Could not work out how it played twice..same voice and and recording.

So I disabled the announcements..but could could still hear the same announcements being played.

Turns out the customer had a global cloud answering auto attendant installed that redirected the call before it got to my system.

It was the same woman who did the recordings but failed to mention this to me,and it was only a few day’s previous that she did this.🤦‍♂️

Still haunts me to this day.😉🤣🤣
End of story.

Nice snowman50

Yes, the "I didn't know that what I just did before the problem started was the problem" is always the best one
Some people are like the centennial light bulb, still burning but not bright at all.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back