Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxtor One Touch 2 Freezes Explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

link470

Technical User
Sep 1, 2005
CA
Hi, I'm working for a company trying to install their new purchased Maxtor One Touch 2 they got for backups on a file server. They had already loaded the retrospect software and one touch backup software onto the system, and so I proceeded to install the actual drive next by plugging it in and seeing what happens.

The machine is running Windows 2000 Server, so I think to myself, excellent, it will auto detect the drive. Maxtor [now Seagate] says that the drive should auto detect right away without software or anything, the software is just additional and 98/ME drivers, as I expected.

The drive is detected in Device Manager, but after that, Computer Management freezes up completely, and I lose control of most of Explorer. The desktop icons still work, but the start button, taskbar, system tray, right clicking anywhere on those or the desktop, are all frozen. I unplug the drive, and everything resumes.

I may just have a faulty drive, and I know that Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000 provides Windows 2000 with the extra support needed for USB 2.0 devices. But I tried the drive on a Windows XP machine, and it did the exact same thing. Listed itself in Device Manager, said it found new hardware, not listed in Disk Management, and not listed in Explorer [My Computer]. Within about 25 seconds of plugging in the drive, [about enough time for this machine to configure the drive and itself, when you see the "your new hardware is ready for use" bubble], the system was frozen.

Both the server, and Windows XP, have ALL updates from Microsoft/Windows Update, and the Maxtor/Seagate site didn't have information from what I could find.

Thanks!

The drive may be faulty. I was going to recommend running the diagnostics at the Seagate site, but that may not be possible from your description of the problem.
Another possible cause is the power supplies are being overloaded with the extra drive installed.

Thanks for your reply! I can't believe I failed to mention the drive was a USB external for those who don't know. So I plug it in, and it pops up in device manager, then explorer freezes. I believe it may just be a faulty drive, I'll take apart the enclosure later and have a look.

Question: did the drive come with a power supply or is it bus-powered? I should know as I bought one as a gift a few years ago, but can't remember. If it's bus-powered, try using a powered hub if you have one. If not, check the voltage at the output from the power supply.

Ypmu

I am familiar with the drive...RMA or return to the seller for a new one...yours is bad and no amount of tinkering is going to help. Till I read that it froze the XP machine I was going to say to check the USB ports....But... Alas it really sounds like a bad drive

The software that comes with the drive is not suited very well for the server environment. if you are using MS SQL server for your database ...The Maxtor software does not turn the service off to do a full copy...it also has issues with Shadow copying.

What I did was to format the drive then use KLS Backup 2006 Professional....It is a great backup tool and works well in the Server environment. and it is cheap

good luck

Thanks a lot for everyones replies. Thank you firewolfrl for your solution, we ended up switching the hard drive. I took it apart for them and slipped in a new 300GB in replacement of the 200. Worked perfectly. Good call on the backup software you use too, sounds good, I'll check it out for my own use.

LOL...great to hear it is working.
And yes I use that backup solution for my own use too.

I have it backup once a week a my primary working harddrive. It shuts the SQL server off for 2 hour and backs up all my data the it automatically turns the SQL server back on. It sure has saved my butt when I tinker a little bit too much on the system and crash it..(done it twice....lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back