Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxtor HDD not being detected by bios or computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx76

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
CA
Trying to get my son's computer working. He had a 2 Gig hard drive installed...and then I installed a faster (24X) CD ROM drive. Everything worked fine for a few days. Then, my son decided he wanted to install every computer game in the house. It froze up, to never boot properly again. The computer refused to detect the HDD after this. I got a replacement maxtor HDD (this one is 8.2 I believe). The BIOS will not autodetect the new drive. I have installed the parameters manually, and it seems to be recognized on the boot up screen, but will not be recognized when I try to format the HDD. The CD ROM drive is detected no problem. The drive is spinning up, and is jumpered as master, although I have tried all the other jumper settings as well. I have tried new IDE cables, tried putting CD ROM on a seperate cable, have tried replacing the motherboard (which didn't boot AT ALL...blank screen was all I could get..but hey, bought it on ebay, so who knows), and have made sure the other jumpers on the board are correct. I have taken out the CMOS battery, and have replaced the CMOS battery, but to no avail. Could there be something really simple I am missing here? PLEASE HELP I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS SINCE JANUARY 2002!! Thanks

Some BIOSes will display a correct value for the drive but fdisk may not. If the drive won't format, is fdisk showing the proper size for the drive/partition? Is the primary partition set as Active in fdisk? After fdisking, does the drive show as Primary DOS in fdisk?

Some BIOSes had a limit of around 2GB 4GB, 8GB, or 32GB, depending on the age of the BIOS. Even saw BIOS displays of only the amount of space above the break points, e.g. a 2.8GB drive would display 700MB or so on boot up. Not a problem, just didn't display properly.

I can't fdisk..it says there are no fisked disks present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back