Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxtor Drive making wierd noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonec

Technical User
Oct 5, 2002
US
Every once and a while my HDD makes a strange noise, it is a hard noise to explain but...it is kind of like the noise when the drive shuts down, but it is much loader and shorter. It doesn't sound very good what ever it is. If anyone knows what I am talking about please maybe explain what is happening?

I have no idea what is happening, I just want to advice you to back up your data at once if you have not already done so :)

Go to the Maxtor website and download their diagnostic utility PowerMax.

You can run any of the first three diagnostic tests as they are non-destructive. If any error messages appear, write them down. It might be wise to plan on an RMA of the drive.

if you're getting a loud noise, it could be due to your power supply going bust, in which case, your fan will go and then if you don't either replace your fans, power supplies, etc.., your mother board will be fried. best suggestion would be to backup your files and get yourself a new power supply. or else it could simply be your hardware vibrating too much (loose maybe?). also, it could depend on how old your computer is and how often you leave it on....which would help determine whether or not you need to replace some fans or the whole power supply.

Hope this helps.

RiceBoy
Rice Boyz Society
RiceBoyRicer@hotmail.com
(613) 355-7163

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back