Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxing out 2500 IMAP4 Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0netech

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US

MAS Version 4. We have recently had a rash of instances where we are Maxing the number of available IMAP4 connections. Most outlook clients are using 2008 or 2010 and we provide connectivity to voice mail through the Outlook IMAP connection.

In the past we have had sparatic issues maxing the number of connections, but beginning last week we had almost daily incidents of this occurring and had to restart the server (in some cases 3 or 4 times consecutively) in order to clear the connections.

We know, at least in part, that some of this may have to do with users starting Outlook and never logging out of the machine or mail for periods of time, but our infrastructure makes it very difficult to identify where this may be taking place. Anyone in the group have any experience with this and how to possibly resolve? Any assistance on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

It can also be caused by users that have a client setup but the password is wrong. The Outlook client will try to connect continually and that can cause this to happen.

Have you looked in the IMAP log to see where they are coming from ? You can also look in the admin log under SMTP to see if it is kicking errors or not.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back