Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum Number of Switches on Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horness

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2002
GB
What is the maximum number of switches you can chain from a Managed switch?

I have a NetGear FSM750 in an office which is about to expand bigger than the cabling and cabinet can handle.

I'm hoping to put in 10x Netgear GS108 8-Port switches (1 under each desk) all linked back to the FSM750, and possibly replace the 750 with a gigabit switch in the future.
Each 8-Port will service between 3 and 5 computers, along with a network printer.

I don't want to order the 8-port switches, if there is some sort of limit to the number you can run on a network. ;-)

Help/Advice appreciated. I know the ideal solution it to swap the cabinet, and re-cable, however we don't have the budget, space or time to do it.

Thanks
Horness

I have about 4, 8-port 10/100MB switches on my managed switch and have been working fine for a few months already. DHCP works fine, vlans work fine. set up the l3 switch so that one vlan can see another but not another. . etc.

According to your diagram it doesn't look like you're daisy chaining a whole lot so I think it should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back