Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum no. of users in IIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CInman

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2001
GB
Someone told me there is a maximum of 255 concurrent users in IIS - is this right? I find it hard to believe, so thought I should consult the experts :)

I never heard of that. As far as I'm concern, the only limit is your hardware resources. They will tell you the limit. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

I have also never seen a max number of users on IIS.
You will have a max because of IP (2**16 - 1.024) or (2**16 - 4.096) I don't remember if it's one or the other.
You normaly only see this limit in large installations on their firewalls.

You can set IIS up to only allow a given number of conrurrent users but I have never used that myself.

I have maxed out at 10 (too many concurrent users) for XP Pro on a desktop developement machine because of any error in my ASP Page during testing.. I believe you must be running on a Server version of the OS to not have the max of 10. Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Control
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

IIS under Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro has some very low limits. This version is only for personal use not as a web server.

You will need the IIS version that comes with Win2K Server, Win2K Adv. Server or Win2K Datacenter server

And for IIS 5.0 is unlimited unless you specify the ammount of connections in IIS console.
So 5.1-->10 or up to 40 if modified
5.0->Unlimited if not specified in IIS console. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back