Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum no. of Sites in IIS 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jggomb

MIS
Jan 29, 2002
US
Can I host multiple web sites in IIS 5? If so, whats the maximum amount? What do I need to do it? Multiple public IP's and network cards?

Thanks

you can host multi web site using host headers. I have 3 web sites on iis. with 3 domain names and 1 IP address. Just make sure your domain names are pointed to your wan address and under each website use the host header function.

I am not sure about how many you can host at one time, but I have done as much as 10 using host headers, and different port #s

Unless you can get multiple public IPs you have to use host headers.

I have 35 sites on at the moment using 1 IP (Dynamic), Host headers with 2 domain names. Mainly as demos for clients before the site goes fully public,

Chris.

Hi
I also want to host multiple website on my IIS5.0 server. one site is public and one for intranet. my public site is all set and working. but for my intranet website, i tried to use host headers but it didnot work. It always go to the default website. i am not sure that i had registered the correct DNS zones to my internal MS DNS server.
Can one help me in this regard.
If u want i can give all setup of my website.
thanks,

Make sure that you have NO site configured to use with an IP address.

for the intranet site add an alias (CNAME) to the DNS zone on your internal server.

eg:

to use a hostheader of
add an alias of mysite to the Forward Lookup Zone for mydomain.local

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back