Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum file system size for GFS? How to overcome it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanderIndra

Programmer
May 23, 2005
ES
Hello everybody,

I have been looking at the GFS properties and I found what seems a very weak point. In this link , it is stated that the maximum size for a GFS running in kernel 2.6 is 8Tb, which is not enough for the project we are currently working. We would need about 100 Tb, approx.

Is there any way to surpass this limit with GFS running in Red hat Enterprise Linux 4?

Which other filesystem could be used with a farm of SunStoredge 3511 to overcome the 8Tb limit?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Lander.

Why in the world would you choose to build such a large filesystem and not disperse it for managability?

I am working on a similar project right now and we are looking at IBRIX Ibrix will allow filesystems in the petabytes. It is relatively cheap and from what I can tell is the industry leader. It will allow for 1000's of hosts to serve that filesystem.

Ok the geek in me is saying this is some really cool stuff. Check it out and see if it fits your needs.

Ray

I think it is ibrix.com

comtec17

There are many reasons for doing this. Check out ibrix's site.

Content management is one reason.

Check out some of their case studies. You may be amazed by what this can be used for and how I thought like you a month ago and now I am looking forward to trying to get this to work. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back