Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum date in the same row 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdempsey

Programmer
Mar 23, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I have 3 columns with dates in them for the same record and I would like to create a new column in the database that would hold the maximum date (of the 3 other dates).

For example
date 1 23/09/2005
date 2 25/09/2005
date 3 27/10/2005

New column - I would like 27/10/2005 for each row in the table.

I am not sure how this can be completed using a query.

Thanks

Sarah

In a standard code module create a function like this:
Code:
[green]'A generic function to get the max value of an arbirtrary numbers of same type values:[/green]
Public Function myMax(ParamArray Args())
Dim i As Long, rv
For i = 0 To UBound(Args)
  If IsNull(rv) Or rv < Args(i) Then rv = Args(i)
Next
myMax = rv
End Function

Now the query:
SELECT field1, ..., fieldN, [date 1], [date 2], [date 3], myMax([date 1],[date 2],[date 3]) As DateMax
FROM yourTable

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

This seems like a very elegant solution to the problem. I have tried to use this on similar data but get an error message when I try to run the query.. (ambiguous name)

I'm sure I've overlooked something, but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

ambigous name error means that you have two tables in the query and a field in the select is in both tables:

Employees
employeeID
Name
Address
etc

EmployeeSkills
EmployeeID
SkillID

SELECT EmployeeID, EmployeeName, SkillID FROM Employees
INNER JOIN EmployeeSkills on Employees.EmployeeID = EmployeeSkills.EmployeeID

This query will result in an ambigous name error because EmployeeID appears in both tables.

By adding a qualifier, you eliminate this error:
SELECT Employees.EmployeeID, EmployeeName, SkillID FROM Employees
INNER JOIN EmployeeSkills on Employees.EmployeeID = EmployeeSkills.EmployeeID

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for anyone working with databases: The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back