Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum database size in Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

afryer

Programmer
Mar 9, 2004
GB
Hi All,

Does anybody know if there is a maximum size database in MS-Access? Basically what I have is an application,which reads in two evenly sized files and stores them in a series of tables in the database. I have tried my application using two sets of files,which are as follows:

1 set of 2 files, each 48Mb in size
1 set of 2 files, each 64Mb in size

The application appears to work and produces no errors, but for both the sets above I have the same number of records in the two tables,i.e

Table KEYS contains 213223 records
Table ROOTS contains 183698 records

As I say this is the same for both the sets of files, so does anyone have any idea why this would be (in each instance the database size is around 72Mb as well).

I compact and repair the database each time the program is ran and when empty it has a total size of about 110k.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

It has been discussed many time here.. including thread

MS Access Limits(thread181-1118850)

Thanks for that, but my database is nowhere near the limitations, so has anyone any idea why it should be failing?

Andrew

If your files are text files you may have a lot more spaces in the larger set of files. Access uses variable record lengths so spaces at the end of text fields will not take additional space.

Bob S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back