Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maximum Capacity Support Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

osomarron

Programmer
Feb 29, 2004
PE
I am thinking of replacing one of my HDs with a bigger one, but i've heard that there are limitations concerning the motherboard and the OS. I want to know what is the biggest HD my system can recognize, so I tried to find info about that at intel.com but can't figure out which spec can help me figure that out. My motherboard is an intel D845BG and i'm running windows xp pro.

---
Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

OK, your chipset is new enough and likely does not have a problem with large hard drives. The big deal is whether your BIOS, IDE controller, and version of Windows supports 48-bit LBA. Check out this site:

In your case, I think the only thing you need to be concerned about is the OS. If it's XP, make sure you're on SP1 or later. If it's 2000, should be on at least SP4.

Don't hesitate to make the purchase...

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back