Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Maxed Out on PV's HELLLLPPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
US
Physical Volume issue, I have maxed out on PV's but I need to allocate more space to this disk is this possible or should I just create another volume group ? I don't want to go that route since I have so many FS attatched to this one. any suggestions ? AIX 5.2 thank you

you have maxed out on pv's in the vg and you're at aix 5.2?

How many pv's do you have in that vg? And yeah, is it a bigvg or not?

I am at AIX 5.2 and it is a BIGVG, I'm out of PV's maxed at 128. Thanks

Is that server sonnectd to a SAN? If so you might be able to have the SAN guys grow the size of your LUN's and have AIX compensate for the new size using chvg -g.

Jim Hirschauer

If you have enough free physical partitions in the volume group, you can migrate all partitions off of one PV, reduce the volume group by that PV, then extend it with a larger one.

The largest PV worth using will be the smallest one greater than the volume group's partition size times 1016. If your PVs are already this large, you're going to need another VG.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

please pardon my ignorance. What is BIGVG? is that a special mode for creating a volume group or just "big volume group with a lot of physical volumes allocated"?

You can change a volume group (max 32 PV's) into a BigVG by using chvg -B (max 128 PV's). There have been a lot of issue with this functionality in the past that seem to crop up again from time to time.

Jim Hirschauer

as filesystems have grown in size, and people needed more disk space, aix was modified to allow extremely large filesystems. That required volume groups to be modified as well to allow large numbers of disks.

There comes a point of diminishing returns however. And sometimes you have to give in, make several VG's and put just one LV in each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back