Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max Number of Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2003
US
Hello:

I have a SDLT autoloader that has 23 tapes in it, by the time i fill up 19 of the tapes ARCserve responds with:

Error 3852 Tape has reached the maximum number of sessions.

How do i ever get Arcserver to use those last couple of tapes? Even if reformat say half the used tapes Arcserve still reports that i've hit the max number of sessions.

This happens about every 3 or 4 months and i end up having to reformat tapes and set all my jobs up again.

Anyone know away around this? I only run 2 jobs. A differential Monday thru Thursday across about 15 servers, and then full backups Friday thru Sunday.

thanks in advance!

This sounds like the jobs are just appending to tape?

This will result in a seq. #1, 2, 3... tape, and all the tapes in the set will have combined limit of number of sessions.

Solution, use a different tape for each day of the week. This can be done by using a roation job or setting up different custom jobs for each day of the week.

thanks for the quick reply.

i'll look into using a rotation job. I just don't want to have create new jobs, one for everyday of the week.

thanks again.

Side benifit comes if you ever need to restore. It can be troublesome to restore from a particular tape when you have 19 all with the same exact name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back