Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max number of records? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpremore

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
Is there a maximum number of records a table in Access can have? How about a maximum for the whole database?

I would think if there even is, that it would be VERY large, but a customer for whom this database is being built will want to know upper bounds, if any.

I'm not sure if there is an actual maximum number of records, but there is a maximum size of the database of 2GB.

Shane

If I remember correctly, that max is based on the version of Access. I also only believe that limitation is at the table level. I seem to remember working on a team once where we got around it by having multiple tables with the same structure (same type of information, just for different locations), one per location. I guess it could have been multiple databases (one front end and multiple back ends), I wasn't working with that part of the data, but I don't think so.

Can someone else back me up on that? Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Hi All,

There is a 1 GB maximum for Access97 and a 2 GB maximum for Access 2000. Haven't heard yet what AccessXP's size limit will be.

On a multi-user (networked) database, you may have trouble running queries, opening forms and reports when the number of records in a given table exceed 100,000. However, that's not a rule to go by, I've seen people quote other numbers based on the table structure and overall database design.

If size becomes an issue you may consider archiving very old records. However, that's not always practical if you and/or your users are often running historical queries for analysis. Just a thought though.

HTH

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back