Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max number of emails that can be restored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

31mike

MIS
Aug 22, 2006
US
Using 6.1
For litigation reasons I'm required to find and restore large numbers of emails. I'm restoring the email to a mailbox (with no size limit) created for this specific task.
The problem I'm running into is that after 1000 emails have been restored the job stops with the message of "restore job completed with one or more errors". this has occurred on numerous different restores, always stopping after 1000 emails. I haven't been able to find any more information on what the error means so any direction on this would be helpful.
I then tried to restore directly to a .PST with a similar result. The .PST restores stop after 998 emails have been restored. Again the message I receive is "restore job completed with one or more errors".

I do not know of any limit for email restores, however you can create a recovery storage group in Exchange 2003 (if that is what you use). Make sure the user in question has an active AD account and then restore the DB for the user, this will automatically go to the recovery group. Once it finishes you can then mount the store and use xmerge to push it back to the exchange server or a pst, one caveat, exmerge has a 2gig pst size limit. Hope this helps, this may work for you.

The only probelm I can see with that method is if you have a large environment. You space requirements might exceed your capacity

I know I would not be able to use the method described in CommvaultDude's post as each of the 4 SG's in my exchange landscape exceed 250-300gb and there is not a single partition with that amount of space.

Though if you have a DR/test environment you could restore it to there.

Please post your resolution or further developments

Thanks,

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back