Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max number of addresses allowed by mailto link

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem4

Instructor
Feb 3, 2000
US
Is there a max number of addresses that can be included in a mailto link? Are there any browser/email client limitations on the max number of recipients allowed - especially Navigator and Outlook?

The short answer is yes and no! I have combined about 25 to 30 mailto addresses that work fine from the &quot;send&quot; end of things. However, some ISP's have begun to limit multiple incoming mailto's, a suppose as an anti spam measure. The way to find out is to experiment. How many did you want to include?<br>
<br>
My code looks like this:<br>
<br>
mailto:<A HREF="mailto:friend1@123.com">friend1@123.com</A>,<A HREF="mailto:friend2@456.com">friend2@456.com</A>,<A HREF="mailto:friend3@789.com">friend3@789.com</A> (and so on...)<br>
<br>
boxplan

Please bear in mind that I assume we're talking about mailto links that will be visible on a webpage somewhere, not mail generated by a submit button on a form on a webpage.<br><br>In case it isn't obvious to you, the number of email addresses that you can pass in a mailto link is ultimately&nbsp;&nbsp;dependent on the email client installed on the system where the mailto link will be activated.<br><br>Some email clients, Eudora Pro 4.0+ for example, will accept and handle mailto links that specify which addressee field that addresses are to go in.&nbsp;&nbsp;The mailto link can send the addresses to the To: field, CC: field, or BCC: field, or some combination of these as well as specifying the recipient and subject of the message.<br><br>Other email client programs just assume that all addresses go in the To: and &quot;ignore&quot; any other instruction embedded in the mailto link.<br><br>Hope this helps<br>Peter Vince<br><A HREF="mailto:peterkv@vaxxine.com">peterkv@vaxxine.com</A><br>

I have used my mailto: with the embedded instruction:<br>?subject=&quot;text string&quot; without any problems.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have not heard from any other users that it did not work with their email client.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do you know which email client(s) will not handle the embedded instructions?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Boxplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back