Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max Mail Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJason

Programmer
Oct 13, 2004
US
I am attempting to send a vaxmail of a fairly large (but, not ENORMOUS) file to multiple recipients (10)...both internet addresses and vms addresses. The mail command appears to work fine (good status), but the recipients never receive it. If I narrow down the list to 2 recipients, or so, it works fine. What sort of limitation am I running into? What can I do about it...other than send individual emails? Thanks in advance!!!

CJason,

While it is possible that the messages are hitting a limit of some form on the OpenVMS system, it is far more likely that the messages are hitting a limit somewhere else in the message transmission path.

More information about this situation is needed to effectively troubleshoot precisely what is actually happening. Which TCP stack are you using? Is your system running an email add-on package (e.g. MX)? What does your network look like? Are there security rules inside of your network that could be the source of the problem?

There are many players in a typical email routing implementation, and any one (or more than one) of them could be the source of the problem.

Some of this is discussed in my book chapter on Email Architecture in the <i>Handbook of Information Security</i> (Wiley, 2006).

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back