Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max # in a workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneTechMan

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
US
Can someone tell me if there is a maximum number of PC's you can have in a workgroup? I seem to remember there was a limit in earliler versions of Windows. I'm running XP Pro on my machines. Thanks In Advance.

I believe you are limited to the number of IP addresses. which would be 255.

x.x.x.1 - x.x.x.255

Other than that you are limited by hardware, as in how many ports you actually have. you'll probably need several hubs/switches to be able to use up all 255 addresses.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was asking because I have 5 PC's in a workgroup, and I can see all of the shares from the others but can't see the shares on the one I just added a couple of days ago. I can ping it, I've turned on NetBIOS, but still the same results. Anything I may be missing?

What OS does it have?

Does it have any firewall software?

If you look for it from the Search function in any other PC can it be found?

Are you sure it has a folder shared? Does it have the share folders and printers on?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

The only difference was that I didn't have it set with a static IP as the others. Set it to a static IP, and now everyone's happy. Plus, I discovered a couple of other stupid mistakes I'd made. Thanks for your replies.

XP has a default of 10 users allowed in a workgroup. Above this MS wants you to use their server technology.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

No, XP Pro has a maximium of 10 simultaneous shared connections; the workgroup can contain any number of PC's. Workgroups do not do anything other than make it convenient for us humans to group systems into logical organizational units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back