Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max Distance between units

Status
Not open for further replies.

jduawa

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
Anyone know what the maximum distance between the Avaya IP412 Office and a Avaya IP400 Digital Station is?
we have a data closet in a new location that is probably 200 feet from the main wiring closet that has voice lines terminated in it so will need to have a module in there. I tried looking at the docs on Avayas site but they seemed pretty worthless
thanks

I have asked the same question to an AVAYA tier 3 support agent one night and the answer he gave me was that the modules come with a patch cord included and thats the distance they recommend. I have a 406 in one closet and using a home-made patch cord in between it and a Dig 30. It's 20' and I haven't any issues. Although all the wiring in the office is new and Cat 5e.

Good Luck
Phil

I really advice to use the blue patchcord +- 2 Mtr max.
You will be waiting for trouble,

You need to have copper cabeling at the other side.

If you dont have that many pairs use IP-stations with a dsl line over 2 pair of copper.

or other solutions but an IP400 DS at 200 feet away forget it.

Greets Peter

seriously don’t use anything longer than 2 meters the extra resistance throws out the cable delay timing between the units, and all hell will break loose on your setup, been there done that, now got egg on my face..

dont even risk 2M!
only use the 1M patch cord supplied
non screened & extended cables will cause eratic performance
You may get lucky but..........

Sounds like you need to have some cabling done to connect the two locations. I have connected the IP400 stations over in excess of 600 feet of cat5e cable from the module without issue. Leave the modules all in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back