Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max Database Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCal

MIS
Apr 1, 2000
US
Does anyone know the max database size for 5.5 without going to Enterprise? Our's just broke 14 gig and I'm getting concerned.

Thanks

Al
atc-computing@home.com

I know plenty of servers at 80GB.

You need to run optimiser to get the DB to the right drive. Then if the disks are big enough and the server is happy, I think there is a limit, but no one I know has hit it.

NT has a 32EB limit though...

16GB with Standard Edition, how much have you got in retention and is the dB got zero free space

I have wondered myself, as we're on the subject - is there any possibility of splitting the database? Mine is 6gb at the moment - a mere dwarf!

I always think that such a vast file (I can't think of any other application that generates such files) is asking for trouble.

Any ideas?

16 gig, that is priv and pub combined?

Al
atc-computing@home.com

seperate, thinking back it words a single 16gb db, you could archive some mail, also you will need to go to exchange 2000 enterprise for a muti db environment.

I always thought 16GB was the Exchange 4 limit and Exchange 5.5 was only limited by NT's 16EB.

Anyone running Exchange normal, not Enterprise above 16GB?

How do the Standard and Enterprise Editions differ?
Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Enterprise Edition is designed for organizations requiring the highest levels of scalability, interoperability and availability. Enterprise Edition includes all of the features of Standard Edition plus an unlimited data store (constrained only by the server hardware capacity), e-mail connectivity with IBM PROFS and SNADS messaging systems, X.400 connectivity, and support for Microsoft Cluster Server. These features extend the core functionality of Standard Edition – such as built-in SMP support – to yield the most comprehensive single-product solution for corporate communication and collaboration.

My server just shut down reporting max database size allowed , the priv.edb is 16.7 GB size , I ran the optimizer and got the system back started but am afraid it wont last long. what should I do .

thanks for any help you may give

You need to upgrade to Enterprise. Back everything up and then install it right over the top. I have done it and it works. If you have the fulfillment CDs its the srvmax.exe file.
Or you can mess around and wait for it to blow up again!
Al
atc-computing@home.com

The 16Gb max size is for Exchange 5.5 standard the Enterprise edition is unlimited. To reduce the size of the priv.edb you need to run a backup, Then get your users to empty their deleted items ( why they want to keep deleted items from 2yrs back is baffling), empty or archive the sent items, journal, Inbox etc dump some of the 10 Meg AVI and MPEG they keep sending to everyone, and generally get rid of the garbage they keep (You can use the cellar\garage\loft analogy to explain it to them).
Then you can backup again (online and offline) stop the services and run Eseutil in defrag mode to compact the .edb ( full instructions on using Eseutil on the MS KB ) This operation can take a long time and your mail server will be down for the duration.
Another option would be to backup up (Offline) then to restore the services and use Exmerge to copy all the mailbox data to .pst files ( you will need maybe 40+Gb H.D. space to store them) then export your directory, stop the services and delete the priv.edb and the log files, When you restart the DS and IS a new empty priv.edb will be created, You can then Import your directory to recreate mailboxes, DL etc and use exmerge to copy the .pst file back into the database. This is a LAST RESORT method as multiple smtp addresses are not always rebuilt and server side rules can disappear

As always eseutil is not to be used as general tool. It is for specific problems and misuse can cause loss of data (Hey I,m sounding like MS PSS staff)

Hope this helps
Chris

Ran the eseutil after we had users delete "old" mail and it compacted 16 GB priv.edb to just over 2GB. So all looks well for now , thanks for the advice !

Tom

Tom,

Having done it so recently, can you detail EXACTLY what you did and in the right order and make it an FAQ?

This won't work for everyone, but it should help!

Anyone have problems getting Exchange running after priv reaches 16gb. Ours just exceeded 16 and shutdown the system. I've used the defrag utility but it didn't knock it down to below 16 so the email is still down. I can't have users clear mailboxes because they obviously can't logon because the exchange services are shutdown.

Use exmerge to automatically do this from the server

There is actually a registry edit that will allow you to Change the limit to 17GB, enough for you to restart the Exchange DB and then have users archive. Do a KB Search at Microsoft.com for exchange database limits and you should get what you need.

Is the 16G limit for Windows 2000 SBS exchange as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back