Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Max cable length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdulfo

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
I have a strange problem.

On installing a new 3905 at a location the phone would display just option by key 7. If left for a few minutes the time would come up.

I outed the TN and recreated as a 2216d. The phone started functioning, but intermittently. Err9998 being diaplayed on the maint terminal regularly. User reported very stacato audio. Repatched to another RJ45 point and no problems.

Now I know that the problem is down to the cabling but is there a maximum cable length. If so what may it be.

BTW we are supposedly on CAT5.

---------------------------------
PDulfo aka pdiddy

I believe it's around 3000 feet. Is the jack that is working relatively close to the jack that isn't? If so, then the length should not be a problem. Have you pulled the jack apart to verify that none of the wiring has come loose? Are the pins in the RJ-45 all equal in spacing?

that's weird.

from the book: Digital telephone line engineering

915m with 22 or 24awg
640m with 26 awg

roughly......

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

The sockets in question are in the same locations. Unfortunately they were installed at different times, and I have no idea on what route they have taken.

I am trying to get hold of a cable tester to try and confirm effective line length. Other problem is that cable does run near power supplies.

PDulfo aka pdiddy

just a thought will a analog station work at that location

Hi folks, thanks for all the help. Got the problem sorted. Turned out it was due to faulty connections on the patch panel. Would have to choose two faulty sockets to swap between wouldnt I. Both now labeled as dead. Many more and will have to look at re-wiring.

Again. Many thanks.

PDulfo aka pdiddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back